Sinister: ahhh, wedding bells!

rachel tucker rachel at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 8 17:19:13 GMT 2000

hey everyone!

firstly CONGRATS to ailsa!! i've never met her but she is my favouritest
listee whose posts i always look forward to, so massive props, but you've
got to keep it sinister even when you're a married woman y'know.

secondly, d'you know i've been on this list on and off for nearly a year (i
think) now, and in all that time i've been convinced peter miller and honey
were one and the same person! i have absolutely no idea why i thought that,
but obviously i did so apologies to you both, and it really is true that you
learn something new everyday. which is nice...

thirdly and most importantly, my bestest friend alex did the most wonderful
thing in the world yesterday so she deserves a big thank you and a
mention...not that she'll read this cos she's not on sinister, probably cos
she doesn't actually like b&s, but she deserves this anyway. picture the
scene:

rachel, having just watched the end of gomenghast, is trying to suppress the
slight disappointment that the bbc hadn't changed the ending so the evil
steerpike had triumphed (well, i always like the baddies best) when the
phone rings. it's alex.

' rach, have you got any blank tapes handy?'
'yeah, somewhere, why?'
'b&s are on steve lamacq, i think it's the bowlie set...'
'aaarrrggghhh!!! gotta go. bye!'

at which point rachel goes hurtling up the stairs, trips straight over the
bloody box full of old  tapes that for some dumbass reason she left there
last summer that has never got in the way before, and falls BANG into the
door. slightly concussed she then staggers into her room, grabs the nearest
tape and gets nearly all of the bowlie set! yay! unfortunately she now has a
fairly considerable bruise on her forehead...still, the things we do for our
loved ones....and i did feel obliged to tape it given that i thought oxford
united's relegation battle was more important than bowlie at the time (i was
wrong) so i didn't go. what's a bruise anyway! and a slight lump.... worth
it though, and i wouldn't have been able to spend today listening to it over
and over without alex, so cheers mate!

now richard said this:

>...( i would
>also like to mention the pale fountains and shack and michael and john head
>but that is another post on its own! )

i'm assuming here that the guys in shack have therefore been in other bands
so could some kind people point me in the direction of some old stuff
because everyone in my house is sick of me continually playing 'hms fable'
even though it is fantastic. something new on my stereo would be much
appreciated.

and the lovely nick dastoor said:

>I saw Booby Gillespie and Mani on
>the TV recently.  Bobby was doing his complete stoner act and it was quite
>painful to watch.  My friend says she knows he's a tit but it doesn't
matter.
>But it puts me off.  I'm not very good at taking bands seriously when their
>members are so daft.

i was going to restrain myself from commenting on this, cos i can't manage
rational sentences where primal scream are involved (there are some who
would say that i can't manage rational sentences at all, and they could be
right....) but i honestly do believe that the scream's music rises above
whatever their band members are actually like.

to me the music is far more important than those who create it, most of the
time. like take that. i mean everyone knows that gary no mates barlow is a
twat, but he still wrote some of my favouritest songs ever, and was a key
member of one of The Four Greatest Bands Of All Time (go on, guess the other
three...alright then, don't bother),
so who gives a shit if he seems one of the most smugly irritating people in
the world?
i don't have to talk to him do i? and the laws of probability would suggest
that at least one member of b&s could be (whisper it) a right old prick. the
laws of probability are often wrong though. at least, they were when i took
(and failed, and subsequently dropped out of) stats...

however, at the same time, those instinctive personal judgements we make of
people, and celebrities in particular, do come in handy for the heated
debates that are contested in our common room for hours on end to alleviate
the boredom. the britney versus christina argument is fierce at the moment.
i'm heavily defending britney cos that christina aggywhatsit looks a right
old slut, and britney seems quite nice. i think she has the superior
marketing team...

blimey, my fingers hurt now. well, the two i type with do anyway.

lovin' and leavin' you

rachel xxx