Sinister: Kin's Big Day Out report!:)

Kin WOO daftpunk at xxx.au
Thu Feb 10 06:30:02 GMT 2000

hello Sinisterinies!
 Just writing to tell you about my day at the Big Day Out-
the best (err actually practically the only!) festival in Australia. And
this year had an unbeatable line-up (unbeatable that is for Aussie
standards which most definitely do not compare to English festival ones):
Beth Orton, Basement Jaxx, Chemicals, and Primal Scream. It was like THE
most TRANSCENDENTAL, MIND-BLOWING just plain AMAZING time of my life.
It was actually stultifyingly ROASTINGLY *HOT*- a whopping 37 degrees
celsius!:( Beth Orton made a joke about "a little English roast-Beth on a
spit!" which was an accurate description. The maddening heat threatened to
spoil proceedings and since the first band we saw was Atari Teenage Riot-
the self-proclaimed loudest band in the world (eat that Korn et al) who
sounded like a cross between Rage Against the Machine and Bis (a frightful
notion), the mood was not helped. The only words they seemed to know
(they're German) were "FUCK" "REVOLUTION" and "Atari Teenage Riot!" all
delivered in screaming tones- errgh. Lead singer was good-looking though.
After that we retreated to shade for drinks etc
The next act we saw was the ever lovely Beth Orton. She seemed to be a
great mood despite the heat and was joking and goofing around a lot- such
a relief from the other dour Atari. She was really great of course- with
the dancier tracks like "Tangent" and "Stars seem to Weep" wonderfully
complimenting the rock outs ("Stolen Car") and the devastatingly sad
weepies like "Pass in Time". She was wearing a rilly cute hot orange
bikini and hot pants combo with a cute blue star on her bottom, so I took
a piccie of it!:)
She played a remarkably short set-only half an hour but it was still
really fantastic. My friend nearly passed out from the heat then- so early
in the day.
Primal Scream were next in the Boiler Room and boy did a place EVER live
up to its name. The weather was 37 degrees but inside the Boiler Room it
was at least in the fifties! So packed it was with writhing steaming
bodies. Prior to the Primals, the security guards were in a strangely
jolly mood and were dancing along to the music and exhorting the audience
to do so too-hmmm! Primals were unequivocally the BEST act of the day
despite very tough competition. They were evil and brilliant and their
music suitably nasty metal machine futuristic punk, which frequently
escalated into pure white noise. Mani was off-his-face on some drugs while
Bobby G wore sunnies and didn't move much yet oozed deadly cool from every
pore. All their tracks boasted subterranean bass levels that reverberated
through yr entire body (well I was right up front so I really FELT it!)
and sounded so AMAZING, that we all felt like disciples bowing down at the
feet of Bobby G, preacher of our modern times. Which I know sounds kinda
wanky, but heh! It was that mind-blowing:)
We took another much-needed break during Goldie and went back in to see
Basement Jaxx who were also excellent and made MASSIVE sounding party
music that was just awesome. After ANOTHER break, we went to see the last
band on the bill, Chemical Brothers who were yes, you guessed it-f**king
brilliant. They had trippy visuals and more importantly sounded
blisteringly great. I just kept thinking wow! This is the best 6 hour rave
ever:) the best song was "Block Rocking Beats" but
their last song "Private Psychedelic Reel" just stunned us with its
transcendental majesty and everything was just so *right* about the whole
experience. It was like, your feet were aching and it was swelteringly hot
but the euphoria and ecstasy you experienced was so undeniable.
And that brought to an end a nearly 12 hour day of intense heat and the
great feeling that it was $73 very well spent. The next day woke up with a
mild case of temporary tinnitus and sunburn but have now completely
recovered-yah! What was also really good was that I was able to bring my
tape recorder in and made a pretty good bootlegs of Beth Orton, Basement
Jaxx and Chems, and a not bad one of Primal Scream. Double HOORAY!
Especially considering the fact that they had metal detectors at the gate
and was sure I would be caught:)
oooh way long letter. ah well hope those who DID make it to the end didn't
mind it TOO much!
ok luvvies love ya and leave ya
Kin Woo