Sinister: Flaming Lips Tour and the WBC

Joseph Askins jda349 at xxx.edu
Fri Feb 11 08:11:21 GMT 2000

Found out tonight that the Flaming Lips are embarking on a tour of the Midwest, and, sho' nuff, they're
coming to Columbia.  Happy day!  I read a little while back that Looper was going to be supporting the
Lips' next tour--is this it?  I can't find any info, so anyone who knows is more than welcome to speak up.

Jarkko--yeah, welcome to the ridiculous, intolerant world of the WBC.  These loonies have been at it for
quite some time--I remember hearing about them even before Matt Shepard was murdered.  They've protested
in my hometown twice now, once at the opening of the new Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (President
Clinton spoke at the opening), and again in front of the town courthouse during the trial of two men who
allegedly raped and murdered a little boy.  Very few things scare me in this world, but the WBC probably
comes very close.  I can't understand that sort of intolerance, and I'm pretty sure I never want to
understand it.  I blame it on fervent fundamentalism.  Go figure...sigh...

Well, it's time to get back to my music reviews...the new Mouse on Mars album is going into format this
week, and I have nary a word written.

Joseph Askins
Columbia, MO