Sinister: A Spaced Boy's Dream

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Feb 11 16:33:23 GMT 2000

I too have been out-raged by the lack of interest in Stuart David leaving the
band.  Anyone would think the kids just *didn't care*.  I know you all think he
smells of piss and everything, but imagine how hurt he'd be if he found out how
expendable he's considered.

I'm starting to think Sinister is a bit freaky after all.  There's this
hilarious scene in 'American Beauty' where the daughter and her starey-eyed
saintly boyfriend have a showdown with blondebitch and scream something like
"You're so ordinary.  We're freaks. We'll always be freaks so ner."  It's a bit
like 'Misshapes' but with less panache.

OK, so I did take time out from emptying the bins to remark upon the latest
news, but I didn't have much to say, did I?  Why can't we think of anything much
to say?  Maybe it's because it was such predictable news, even when Carsmile
Steve started the rumour.  Or maybe it's because everyone thought A Space Boy
Dream was an 'ill-advised excursion into leaden-booted funk'.  Oh no, that was
'Barbarism Begins at Home'.

I think he's an important member of the band, even if he just plays bass and
writes a mix of cutesy singalongs and breakbeat babblings.  I can't put your
finger on why, but his presence somehow matters.  He's the Bez of Belle &
Sebastian.

I do like 'Winter Wooskie'. I think it's his best song he's written about him
and wee Karn's terrific romance.   'Paper Boat' is a just a bit *too* wet, even
for me.

I don't mean any of this very much.

Well anyway, if no one is inspired to talk about the latest news, I'm going to
revert to replying to messages from the archive.  This week, late October 1997:

Walter [jacques.buron at wanadoo.fr] wrote:

>I've just read this in a french fanzine (Crême Anglaise, there's also
> an interview of Stuart David and Chris Geddes in it...)
>Stephen, of The Pastels, is answering a question about his hobbies :

>" I'm working in a library. I'm doing some writing also. I'm actually
> qoing to do a  book with Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian. We're
> going to tell the story  of Glasgow music from Orange Juice. It may be
> a book, but it will probably end up as a pamphlet! To both of us Orange
> Juice was a really important thing. We are very close to each other in
> Glasgow, we have so many things in common..."

Whatever happened to this idea?  It sounds like a surefire bestseller.  Maybe
they fell out over whether 18 Wheeler warranted a chapter all to themselves.

******

Johnston, John CT wrote:
>The thing about Monica's bit on LLPJ is that it's so not Belle &
>Sebastian. Which makes it all the more great. Like the crazy keyboards
>on the as yet unreleased (how cool am i??) Tigermilk [the track not the
>mysterious lost album of the Incas] when they played it at Oxford; it
>was like a new texture or new dimension to their sound. Suddenly the
>band were rocking, or even rockin' (blimey!). That's what I love about
>B&S - so much variety yet with a clear common thread that keeps their
>work coherent.

Phew yeah - and whatever happened to the rockin' Tigermilk.  I never heard it
myself.  When did they last play it?  Scottish bands like doing this 'track
named after previous album' thing, don't they?  'The Scream' (I love it when
rachel says this) and the Jesus the Mary Chain have done it as well.

******

Commenting on Stuart D's  'Little Ink Movies', Andy Dean wrote:

>duke:
>>Chris is wearing 'metallic sky blue nail polish'.
>>Nice to know that others are following the
>>manifesto as set down by the Living Room
>>Collective back in April ;-)

>chris was wearing nail polish at the borderline gig last
>november.

Has anyone been keeping track of what Belle & Sebastian members have been
wearing on their nails since then?

******

Last and least, Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta wrote:

>I suggest breaking an egg into the back of the broken
>computer. It usually works for most things.

and lots of other rubbish.

Thought: What's Mark King doing these days?

Nick xx