Sinister: "Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Tue Feb 15 09:35:05 GMT 2000

And now it's time for a post from Laura Llew. I hope that you find it
entertaining, whimsical, and yet relevant, with an underlying visionary tone
that belies Laura's emotional attachment to the subject matter...... OR at
least something to do with your right finger as you click the delete key.

Somehow I just could not resist the temptation of posting on this vapid
Valentine's Day (happy sappy day, bitter day, emasculation day, singles
awareness day, etc.). Though I have a wealth of friends, I'm really quite
single and no matter what the benefits of reciprocal social integrational
relationships are  - it's just not the same as a boyfriend. Though please
spare me the "being single is great" spiel. I just read an interesting
analogy of how sex like supermarkets. You know, overrated. Just a lot of
pushing and shoving and you still come out with very little at the end.
Anyway, my point (which my hair covers nicely) is that I wasn't expecting
this Valentines to be a good day. Happily, I was proven wrong. Not only did
I get flowers, but I got books and music. What Valentine's Day could go
wrong with a book? So, I spent my day happily whiling away the hours on a
book that I should have read but never got around to (isn't that the
definition of a classic?).

I even got a pixies tape that I love today from am/fm digital surround sound
John, my popex mentor. Oh the joys of the pixies and of popex. I was quite
excited to see that my chums list "Since 1977" was the fourth biggest on
popex (i just add everyone on my family tree and who's in sinister. If you
want to be added just let me know your #). How BLUDDY GRATE.

I remember quite a bit of talk (ok subject lines) of John Updike on the list
a few months go. Just a lot of people seemed to be reading Run Rabbit Run.
Well, has anyone read his new one  "Gertrude and Claudius"?  It takes the
story of Hamlet before the play begins so that Hamlet's father is still
alive. Yes, it even portrays the King as being a piggish man and Hamlet as
being foppish (or so I hear from the reviews). I've always found that the
different takes on Hamlet are quite interesting. I mean not the stories
themselves but the ideas for them.  I've always thought that the main idea
behind "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" was an intriguing one, even
if the actual play does drone on for quite a bit.

Has anyone else wonder how Sarah and Leyla type their posts. Do they take
turns, does one do all the typing and just gets dictated to for half of the
posts, or is one sitting on the other's lap. I think a picture to the
sinister page is in order! Don't worry girls, you'll become famous. Wheaties
boxes, video games, action figures, and an option in Mark's choose your own
adventure posts....- the sky's the limit!

Marie Elia wrote about the glories of crocheting again. Yes, we're forming a
crocheting possee, gang, milk maid union, or something of the violent and
ruffian nature. Down with the knitters! (Don't take that literally Ree). I
was quite relieved to see that Marie didn't take offense to what I said
about her in my last post. In fact, she was delighted to finally be
"revealed" to the public. Of course, I don't dare say it would have been the
first time for that.

Well, I guess that I missed Valentine's day with this post. Oh well. A
friend just reminded me in an e-mail of all these Peanuts memories. 'Snoopy
once called February 15th "Gloat Day", since that's when you gloat over all
the valentines you got the day before.  Another Peanuts V-day memory -
Charlie Brown rehearsing, over and over again, how he's going to present a
valentine to Violet, as he's walking her way.  Each time, he ends with
"Happy Valentine's Day."  But when he hands her the card, he says, "Merry
Christmas."  (Gary Larson would do a Far Side cartoon on this same theme -
do you remember its closing line?)'

I better stop now before I have to lean on Steve C's shoulder and cry.

Love and Woodstock

Laura

***************Laura Llew's Favorite New Listee*********************
This goes out to the most charming Welsh boy who has quite endeared himself
to me as my new younger brother. Not only does he have a great name but he's
quite amusing and light hearted. So, please everyone be nice to the
lovely.......... Llywelyn............
(or else).

PS- notice that there was no bitterness at all in this? I'm quite impressed
with myself. Nor did I make any disparaging remarks about boys like that
they should just draw yellow lines down their back so girls don't collide
when we walk all over them.