Sinister: "Slightly off-topic thread becomes on-topic!" shocker!

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Tue Feb 15 11:06:41 GMT 2000

Moobury Mark said:
> Sorry to go on, once again... but I'm curious, can any of this
> bullshit reasonably be reasoned?  I don't know much about biology
> or neurology - I'm a philosophy student - but I do have an interest
> inb whether ideas which seem ridiculous can be argued for.  I can't
> imagine any possible way in which such blatent biggotry could be
> defended, and I'd really love to meat someone who thinks
> otherwise... preferably down a dark alleyway, armed with a
> baseball bat and a healthy set of emotions....

I *did* like the typo "meat" in this by the way.  I'm not sure if it
was a by-mistake-on-purpose typo, in which case I'm embarrasssed now :)
Mark, the only (non-religious) argument left "against" being gay as
far as I can see (as if you can argue "against" the existence of irons
or ironing boards) is that "it's not natural!".  It's the one my Dad
uses when he's not watching Blind Date.  Something about them not
making babies, which I think shows what some people thought sex was
for all along.  When you say "well is wearing clothes or making toast
natural?" you're told not to be ridiculous and later on you get
shouted at for not taking the dishes into the kitchen and leaving
your shoes lying around.

The religious arguments are all based on a few verses in the bible,
which seem to put being gay on a par with drunkeness, so you lot are
in trouble; and they completely gloss over the fact that we don't
take the sin of wearing purple clothing (Leviticus somewhere) quite
as seriously.  Sorry for those who like Leviticus, but I do get a bit
tired of this, I'm not trying to be offensive, but it just is a bit
in some people's hands you know?

Anyway to the point of my mail.  I'm sure www.godhatesfags.com won't
like this one, which I've included below:

http://dotmusic.com/news/February2000/news12969.asp

"'You might as well legislate against left-handedness,' said Murdoch.",
presumably thinking of what being Sinister is all about (in latin).
Aww :)

For non-UKers, Section 28 was a law brought in under the blessed Mrs
Thatcher which banned "the promotion" of homosexuality in schools, and
its retention is being clung too by the Conservatives (and my Dad
presumably) right now.  Except in Scotland where they seem to have
nearly got rid of it with hardly a mention in the British news.  For
"the promotion", in practice read "mentioning it as existing".

A recent study in Edinburgh showed that gay people were four times
more likely to get beaten up.  Not sure if that's natural or not, I'll
check with my Dad.

Honey x

(P.S. yes the archives are completely gummed up - I'm resurrecting
them elsewhere.  Thanks for letting me know xxx)

---

EXCLUSIVE: BELLE AND SEBASTIAN BASH THE BISHOP

Belle and Sebastain frontman Stuart Murdoch has launched a vitriolic
attack on Clause 28, the British legislation which prevents the
promotion of homosexuality in schools.

Murdoch has also spoken for the first time about the departure of
Stuart David from the band, which was exclusively announced on
dotmusic last week.(*)

Murdoch said Clause 28, which is currently under review by the
government, is 'prejudice pure and simple'.

'The nation has stood-up proudly to declare its prejudice. 'Yes we
admit gay people exist, but as long as nobody talks about it we would
be alright'. In a class of 30 or so kids, two or three of them will
grow-up knowing they are gay.

'Section 28 denies they exist. It's prejudice pure and simple. You
might as well legislate against left-handedness,' said Murdoch, whose
band won a Brit award last year for Best Newcomers.

Murdoch also weighed into Cardinal Thomas Winning, the Head of the
Roman Catholic church in Scotland. 'I actually think people are
pretty tolerant. I think if you got rid of the clause, nobody would
give a shit.

'Old gits like Winning must just be scared of a Gay Tide coming to
sweep the land. Why can't he just respect other people's preferences.
We respect his. We respect his right not to have sex. He should just
admit that some girls fancy girls and some boys fancy boys.'

Talking about David's decision to quit Belle and Sebastian, Murdoch
said: 'He's got his hands full with Looper, so he's quite happy to
get on with that. We wish him all the best.'

---

(*) apart from when he more or less said it himself a few months ago
in that online chat :)