Sinister: pain and pleasure mixed together proves that we're alive

Mr Smiley smiley.rebelmonkey at xxx.net
Tue Feb 15 16:29:35 GMT 2000

Bonjour,

    For this post I decided to take the interesting step of using the right
e-mail account, rather than my mum's. This way I might avoid more scary
messages saying I'm not allowed to post when I know I am (unless you've got
fed up with me).
    Sorry to spoil your blissful
skipping-in-the-fields-with-rabbits-naivety, but this post isn't very
cheerful.
    This week I have mostly been thinking about death. I have come to the
conclusion that there is an afterlife, even though I'm far too cynical to be
religious. I have two little stories to show what brought me to this
conclusion. Here they are:

    Story one
==========

    On Sunday the 13th my granddad died, which was very sad, even though it
means he got to spend Valentines Day with my late grandma. This is the
spooky bit. He died at 6:20pm, and my mother was in Coventry on that day.
She came in, having no knowledge of the news, at 6:30pm and said "I've just
seen the most incredible shooting star". Alright, this might be a
coincidence, but...

    Story two
==========

    Sometime ago it was one of those glorious, hot lazy summer days. With
this in mind, my friend and I decided to loaf around in his living room and
watch MTV all day. Somehow, we managed to get around to talking about the
songs we would like played at our funerals. My friend said that someone in
his year at school had died last year, and he mentioned the three songs
played at her funeral. At that very instant, MTV played each of those three
songs back to back! Scary!

    So then, no B&S content. I know it's frowned upon to chuck in a "token
B&S moment", rightly so. I did, however, buy The green fields of foreverland
this week, and am immensely taken by it. I am also developing a very
dangerous Isobel fixation. This isn't a token B&S moment, I'm being sincere.
    Also, if there are 1211 people on this list, surely there's someone on
here who thinks Rialto, by Rialto, is the best album ever recorded?

Au revoir

Mr Smiley
smiley at rebelmonkey.freeserve.co.uk

"Hate is the only thing worth my love"
    I wanted to put that in before Valentine's Day, but my mail bodged up.
Oh well.