Sinister: *...who held court in a nice little pink gingham dress which Fubble had given him for his birthday.

Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium lookingdownward at xxx.net
Thu Feb 17 23:35:24 GMT 2000

You! Yes, You specifically!

I was strolling about aimlessly to-day (fine February days I'll miss
most when global warming turns the eastern seaboard into lukewarm
bathwater), when I had something of an epiphany, at which point several
curious incidents that have occurred to me in the past month suddenly
became clear.

I have awkward reactions when I encounter strangers. It's only fair to
let you know that, if I've seen any of you on the street without knowing
who you are, I may have done this to you, too. When I meet people, I
often imagine them in various states of undress in ...how shall we say
it? classical poses. Characters from ancient myths, nineteenth-century
novels, and sometimes Shakespeare.

And while this can be fun, it feels a little bit vulgar, and more than a
little bit duplicitous, to be talking about perfectly ordinary things
while thinking to oneself that they'd probably look smashing, nude, in
marble.

I was reading Henry James' _Roderick Hudson_ this week (a beautiful
novel if a bit tragic; I highly recommend it), when it dawned on me:
I'm not a pervert; I just want to be a sculptor!

Now that this is all clear, I'd like to apologise to anybody that I may
have (anonymously or otherwise) imagined in compromising poses.

And for other things...

I hope Stu D. leaving is a good thing, although I don't care much for
any implication that *any*body can play the bass. In the long run,
though, I think that having somebody from the existing band fill in is a
lot better than having some strange guy who can play bass and do nothing
else (pardon me while I think back to the boy who played bass for Duran
Duran on their Medazzaland tour... good, but no John Taylor).

I will only say that I won't say anything about intolerance and
prejudicial behaviours toward same-sex relationships.

I do worry some times that people are too wrapped up in their own
definitions of tolerance to realise that they're being intolerant
themselves. Like what's going on with the diplomatic isolation of
Austria; it disturbs me that other nations will preach about what
amounts to a conditional democracy, which is no democracy at all. That
said, I'm quite glad I'm not a foreigner living in Austria right now.

-Paralis.