Sinister: Ambient Ride

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Fri Feb 18 17:56:17 GMT 2000

VAPOUR TRAIL
I was wondering if anyone had a view on Will Calhoun's new 21" Ambient Ride.
It says here that it delivers an amazingly big, breathy, multi-colored sound
that rises up from deep within the dark, low-pitched soul of its thin,
heavily hammered raw bronze. It fills the low- to mid- pitch ranges with an
axotic roar dominated by natural acoustic tendencies, making the Ambient
ideal for many styles, including Drum 'n' Bass, Funk and Jazz. 'This is a
deep-space ride based on a primitive Jazz concept', Will has said. 'The
sound of my stikc hitting the metal is like the snapping of twigs in a
roaring fire... the strokes click within a funky wash of tone'.

Now, you can't hear impassioned words like that and doubt the possibilities
of newness in music.

LIMEAID
I was also wondering if anyone had any views on the word 'limn'. This has
two senses: 1) to make a pictorial representation of (deriving from Latin
re. light); 2) outer edge of the sun's disc (deriving from Latin re. edge
[?]). I take it that the latter usage may, in fact, be related to our
'liminal'. The word 'limb' is something else altogether, although I'm not
sure about 'limbo'. Anyway, the question is, what are these seemingly
related words doing hanging around near each other, when they seem to have
radically different etymologies?

IN THE CLOUDS
Yes, that's an All About Eve reference. Well, it could be.
Does anyone share my sense that as you get older, the clouds seem to move
faster? I seem to recall, as a child, looking up and finding their movements
imperceptible. Now they scoot overhead like there's no tomorrow. If the
movement of the clouds is seen as a metaphor of sorts for time as such, then
perhaps this is a pretty straightforward sign that the Down escalator is
picking up speed.

The same goes, I might add, for clocks. You can't tell me that clock hands
always moved so visibly. You can?