Sinister: rattle thrown in the corner but thumb still firmly stuck in mouth

Colin Mowat colin.mowat at xxx.net
Sun Feb 20 22:34:47 GMT 2000

Sunday 20 February 2000
21:14

OK, thank you Honey for my voice. My first posting is here................

Dear people,

My appreciation to you all for the slices of life that I have been allowed
to share over the past couple of weeks in the nursery, it's certainly helped
me to get through the difficult time I've been having over recent times.

I've only been listening to B&S for the past few weeks. As a group, the name
had been in my consciousness for the past couple of years, and had rather
intrigued me, but I had never heard them and had no idea what there sound
was like, having spent the majority of listening time over the last
twenty-four years listening to Nick Drake, John Martyn, Tom Waits and 70's
Bowie and then later on from 1980 Joy Division and Japan (hey! anyone
remember the best album of 1982 on it's first outing - no idea? ABC's The
Lexicon of Love). So you've probably worked out that I'm probably
considerably older than most (if not all) other list members - I was born in
1963 - can anyone beat that - come on own up!..............Anyway, I
digress........so I was in a Virgin Magastore, feeling low and looking for
something to listen to, looking through the singles for David Gray and the
B&S ticket caught my eye and just in front of it "This is just a modern rock
song". So I left Virgin £4.99 less and one EP more. Got home and stuck it on
the stereo, not having a clue what I was gonna get through the headphones,
and it was good, not brilliant but good enough for me to make a return
journey to Virgin the next day and buy Tigermilk and TBWTAS (buy 2 for £20
deal). Got home and put Tigermilk on the stereo and then never got past the
first three tracks for the first three days - Expectations is one hell of a
song - Ok so I finally got to here the rest of the two albums and that led
to Feeling Sinister and the other three EP's and the Bowly set repeated on
Radio 1 a week or so ago and all that led me here - from what I've seen so
far a place well worth being.

So when I manage to get my thumb out of my mouth, I'll write again and tell
you how B&S have helped me get over the past few weeks which have seen the
the first stage in the culmination of 5 months of pain and tears which has
been the disolving of my marriage and a drastic change in my life which I
have yet to decided whether I like or not.

Until then

Rêves sucrés