Sinister: Groove is in the heart

The Narrow Wizard ol01 at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 21 12:55:05 GMT 2000

Hi my lovely plum puddings
good news
I've broken my Joy Division addiction and can now listen to other music,
and it only took a week of listening to only joy div records before I
worked out how to stop. It was a beautiful plan, I just bought lots of new
music that I've been wanting for a while and then listened to it, I
couldn't really afford it but what the hell. It was cool though cos virgin
had a 5 albums for 30 pound deal going and there was some good stuff in
it.
I bought
the green fields of foreverland by the gentle waves
the looper album
scott 4's works project LP
a 2 cd set containing 2 corduroy albums
and a 3 cd sugarhill records retrospective featuring grandmaster flash,
the furious five and melle mel.

the gentle waves album is good, well I like it anyway, it's not as good as
her stuff done with the whole band behind her 'cos I think she benefits
from a better arrangement and fuller soundscapes when everyone is there.
the album is good though, just a bit sparse in places.
as for the looper one, I'm most impressed, I think stu D benefits from
being away from B&S as he has a very different musical vision to them,
it's especially noticable on the spoken word tracks that they are much
more suited to his loops, samples, and beats than the intrumentals of the
rest of the band which were used for century of elvis andspace boy dream.
I'm really glad he's left the band, I think he'll do some very worthwhile
stuff on his own and I'm looking forward to hearing it.
I gueass that while I'm giving these kind of mini reviews I may as well
mention the other 3 records. The Scott 4 one is excellent, they have a
very folky style but they also mix electronica into it, it's as if a
really good folk band had been given a synth and then been forced to
listen to Kraftwerk untill they started appreciating it, very nice music
indeed. I like the Corduroy as well, I've only listened to ooone of the
cd's but it's great, a mixture of chilled out jazz and uplifting jazz, if
you like jazz (and I do) then you'll love it. And what can I say about the
falsh and the five cd's, all the classic tracks (the message, white lines,
adventures on the wheels of steel) mixed in with some slightly more
mediocre stuff, well worth a listen to anyone who likes to know where
music comes from and indispenable to all hip hop lovers.

I had lots of other things to say, comments on all your wonderful posts,
etc. but I can't remember a single one so I guess that's it from me.

Oh don't forget to get in touch if you wanna go to the ennio morricone
tribute in stirling on Saturday the 11th of March

stay happy
   owen

oh yeah I just remembered, someone didn't like prozac nation, hmmm I dunno
what to say to that, I loved the book and it helped me through a lot and I
have nothing but respect for Elizabeth Wurtzel. there's some great comedy
moments in there asa well, the accidental blow job for instance.

bye (again)
   owen

With that the narrow wizard waggled his bushy eyebrows and disappeared in
a flash of blue flame leaving behind only a faint smell of cinnamon