Sinister: krazy? not half...

pulped | AP Tobin alex at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 22 09:06:40 GMT 2000

thanks to s. troussé for submitting that piece on my jeepster profile.  i
write for a webzine called 'the kinda muzik you like', which has been around
for around a year.  it's quite interesting to have read something that was
posted last month, with almost identical questions!  i came up with my
questions on my own, along with the opening paragraph, and it does indeed
seem to be all too similar for my taste.  compare:

http://www.kindamuzik.net/labels/jeepster.shtml

and

http://www.poetrysoc.com/krazy/krazy.htm

hmm, now as i don't really like it even being associated with a potential
rip-off and my work is original, here - and i'm really sorry to post all of
this - is jeepster's reply to me, dated 16 february:

> AP Tobin wrote:
>>
>> david, here are a few questions for the label profile feature.  feel free to
>> add anything at your leisure...
>>
>> 1.  Why did you choose to name your label Jeepster?  Does it come from the T
>> Rex song?
>
> The name Jeepster was chosen by Stef (one of the founders). It does come from
> the
> T-Rex song. The idea being that it sounded like a person and something you can
> relate to rather than a corporate entity, as well as reflecting the music we
> listen to.
>
>> 2.  How would you describe the Jeepster Sound?  What are the qualities you
>> look for when signing artists to the label?
>
> Alternative/Pop? We generally go for good song writing skills, prolific
> creativity
> with the intrumentation and a unique vocalist.
>
>> 3.  If they weren't signed already, is there any band you'd love to snatch
>> up without hesitation?
>
> Quite a few actually, The Super Furry Animals are the first that come to mind.
> But
> then also Beck, Bjork, Grandaddy, Blur, The Prodigy, Flaming Lips, we could go
> on
> for days :) there's no point being in this business if you don't still love
> music.
>
>> 4.  Jeepster is a relatively small and independent label.  How important is
>> the make-up and position of the label to you?  Is independence and size a
>> major factor in the label's philosophy?
>
> Independence is integral to the way we work, small is beautiful. Although we
> can
> see the label growing into the future being small at the moment is very good,
> with
> only 4 full time members of staff there are no internal communication problems
> and
> we can make decisions and act on them very quickly.
>
>> 5.  What - in short - is the history of Jeepster?  How did it come about?
>
> Mark had become bored and frustrated with working for major record companies
> for
> 15 years, and Stef had worked in the city for that time. When Mark finally
> left
> the majors with the dream of starting his own company (in which he would
> finally
> have the ability to sign the bands he loved and work on them in a way that
> reflected the music and wasn't just part of a rigid marketing strategy), Stef
> agreed to come onboard with him and invest in the startup of the company. Both
> Stef and Mark's friendship had developed from going to gigs through the
> previous
> years, and here at last was the chance to put out records that were of the
> same
> quality and diversity as the ones that their friendship had grown from.
>
>> 6.  The internet is rapidly changing the way people consume and listen to
> [...]

sorry to post all of that, but i'm a bit livid really.  god knows how the
other article could've been published last month, unless it was backdated.
or is someone taking the piss?  please do tell me that's what it is!

cheers,

alex
http://www.pulped.co.uk