Sinister: belle and sebastian live in a beautiful mansion

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Fri Feb 25 06:45:59 GMT 2000

the subject here is referring to an odd dream i had last night. quite
b&s related. not sure how it happened, but i ended up at a large
mansion, with formal gardens and a picnic table squarely placed in
the yard. belle and sebastian lived there. i mean, all of them. even
stu d. he was there, you know. me, him, beans geddes, and two girls i
know from chicago who don't listen to belle and sebastian were
sitting around the picnic table and making fun of chris's legs. i'm
not kidding. i kept sticking up for him, saying he had nice legs, but
stu kept putting him down, all in jest, of course. i woke up and
almost instantly my eyes fell on the twattybus (cripes, does anybody
here even remember that nickname anymore?) poster placed on the
slanted wall above/next to my bed, and i got confused as to what the
hell i had been dreaming about anyway.

so a sinister village, eh? i'd like to run the microbiology lab at
the hospital, please. but if that's not twee enough, maybe i could be
the nursery marm. you know, look after the kiddies until they're
allowed into the village at large. or maybe i'd run a petting zoo
filled with goats and lambs and horses and ducks and cats and dogs
and anything else that's not too likely to bite you if you touch
them. there'd be anteaters and lemurs, too. because i like anteaters
and lemurs a lot. anteaters look like great big muppets, you know.
they do.

as you may or may not have guessed, i'm a bit stressed from doing my
thesis (i can hear you mumbling "is she still going on about that?",
so hush up and be nice), and i swear if have to read another article
about active efflux of bile salts by e coli i'm gonna puke all my
bile salts right up.
which reminds me of an amusing conversation i had the other night. a
friend and i were discussing breath fresheners, and i told him about
my confusion with "breath asure" the pill you swallow that's supposed
to freshen your breath from the inside. here's my problem: if you
swallow it, it ceases having anything to do with your breath the
minute it passes by the larynx. i said that perhaps it relied on
odors travelling up the esophagus. my friend noted that if odors from
our stomachs were always coming out of our mouths, our breath would
smell a lot worse than it does. so we decided that those little
breath asure tabs are pure bunk. i still like thinking about what the
world would be like if we could actually smell what's going on inside
us, because it's got to be just horrid. all those acids and
foodstuffs and bacteria grinding around inside us, making stanky
odors and keeping us alive all at once.
with that said i'm going to have some more apple juice and get back to work.

-kerry

"roses are red / and ready for plucking / you're sixteen / and ready
for high school"
                -kurt vonnegut, _breakfast_of_champions_