Sinister: It is the true nature of man to learn from his mistakes - Fred Hoyle

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Sat Feb 26 21:19:16 GMT 2000

Fred Hoyle, who I never thought would appear on Sinister but now has,
made a bit of an idiot of himself when I used to do astronomy - he kept
haranguing the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh (where I "worked") for
totally ignoring his research that proved colds and flu came from
space.  They were the deadly galactic enemies of the Sinex Nasal Sprayz
from planet Vicks or something.  Apropos of nothing.

Anyway!  THREE Sinister announcements.

ONE!

The latest edition of the B&S band "diary" appears below, sent on by
Katrina - thanks you!  It's mainly about footie so I don't understand a
word of it; football was nearly a banned topic on Sinister, because I'd
rather be knitting.

TWO!

As promised "earlier", a new Sinister photo gallery has appeared.
It's Scarlet Erica's requested clothing gallery where you may display
the best and worst items in your wardrobe (and nothing inbetween).
Haute Couture!  Go and have a flick through the racks at:

http://www.missprint.org/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?gallery=slipups

THREE!

The Sinister search is back with its fetlocks flowing, and awaiting
your commands, Sir.  Just pop something into the box on the front
page, or if you want to search for something more simple than a
single word or a phrase, go to:

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/search.html

You'll find some cheeky random suggestions pop up in the box on the
front page just like they used to.  The idea is that they uncover
hidden gems from the archives from our 2 and a half year history(*),
but they're a bit out of date and I'd love more suggestions lovingly
honed down to bring out just one or two lovely "posts of the past".
Something really rude would be smashing.

 (*) and if you think two and a half years isn't long, in a lucid
 dream the other day I worked out how many emails Sinister is
 responsible for sending out to individual mailboxes.  Go on, guess.
 Is it (a) 20,000, (b) 50,000, (c) 12,000,000 or (d) 25 billion
 billion trillion?  Is that your final answer?

Search tips while we're at it: if you want to look for mails
containing more than one word, separate them with semicolons (;) and
DON'T add spaces as it takes spaces very seriously.  And if you want
to look for complete phrases, just type them in, don't add quotes.
Putting that together, if you want to look for a mail containing both
the word "pornography" and the phrase "Nicholas Witchell", you'd type
in:

pornography;Nicholas Witchell

Which will find this one as from tonight.

It's actually rather fun putting in very odd unsinister things and
see if someone somewhere's every mentioned them.  I bet the answer's
"cor blimey look they did!".  Please do use the search before you
post if you're asking a question you think there's the slightest
chance might've come up before.

---

Llywelynapgwilym at aol.com said:

> Names. What is in a name? Quite a lot actually.
> but I do have a thing against names like "Fifi
> Trixibelle" ...
> ... or "2la" (-a real middle name)

It's true!  Someone really did christen their daughter "21a".  I rather
like it...  I heard on the same program (Radio 4, but not the shipping
forecast heard through a haze of hallucinogens I promise) that in
Brazil a father christened his children "Xerox", "Photocopier" and
"Authenticated".  Can any Brazilians confirm or deny this?  I'm rather
hoping someone called "Dishwasher" replies.

Stu leaving.  I'm wondering when we'll stop having to say "Stu M" and
"Stu D" then?  That should save a few megabytes.

Finally - no!  I don't want to be a Major in the Sinister village!  I
much prefer the idea of working behind the counter at the Ice Creame
Shoppe.  I'm told I'm very nippy with a scoop.  Or be LJ's
"intriguingly feminine" mummy.  Or someone whose main duties were to do
jigsaws, skip and pull tongues.  Would that be ok?

Honey xxx

P.S. it's (c)

---

> Belle & Sebastian's Chris Geddes writes about erm... football
>
> I think I mentioned last time how much I was looking forward to the
> football season starting up again. Obviously now I'd have preferred it if
> the break had gone on a bit longer. It doesn't inspire confidence when it
> takes the worst result in the club's history... ever, to persuade Allan
> MacDonald to do what many fans had been casually demanding since October.
> Still, things seem to be improving on the park under Dalglish. Hopefully
> next time at Parkhead I'll be doing more singing than booing for the first
> time in a while, and maybe one day the shares will recover. If I'd spent my
> money on shares in some internet company instead of a crisis hit football
> club, I might now be looking at moving to Albert Drive.
> We were down that way the other day doing a photoshoot at the Sherbrooke
> Castle Hotel. It was the day it snowed, and it was very pleasant to spend
> the day in the hotel lounge drinking cups of tea. Anyway, I had never
> realised there was anywhere posher than Hyndland so it was a real
> eye-opener.
> A couple of years ago I got really upset at the depravity of the rich when
> our American label at the time put us in a posh hotel where the drinks at
> the bar cost about a tenner. It just seemed outrageous that folk with wads
> of cash have nothing better to with it than pay over the odds for normal
> stuff. I guess it was mainly expense accounts or something, so these
> companies fleece each other for cash while bored execs get pished. Woody
> Allen's jazz band played in the restaurant and some guy offered them
> thousands of dollars to do another set.
> Anyway this photo thing was quite a laugh, especially for Richard who had
> to spend the proverbial six hours in make-up. I think we're meeting the
> photographer on Monday to see how they turned out.
>
> Chris Geddes

---