Sinister: The Running Man

Erica MacArthur erica.macarthur at xxx.com
Tue Feb 29 16:32:22 GMT 2000

Hello again you lot,

sorry to post twice in a day but I thought I'd mention that band Belle and
Sebastian (who?) are in this month's select - there's the best picture I've
ever seen of Stuart Murdoch on the poster page and a lovely one of him and
isobel playing/laughing with/at a puppy in the review. Here follows the
snippet of interview they put in from Stuart - I can't be bothered to type
out the review (of the EP box set - 4 stars). Sorry if someone has beat me
to the post. The April issue of Select also features a two page spread about
Hefner, so hurrah for them.

***

"I PUT ON MY SHORTS AND RUN OFF MY FRUSTRATIONS"
Just before Stuart Murdoch abandoned God's gift of speech (at least to the
press) he spoke to Select. Here are some previously unpublished excerpts

Whose is the canine cuddly toy on the sleeve of the 'Dog on Wheels' EP?
"Oh, that's patch. I found him in 1994, short of a wheel in the entrance to
a resturant. I stuffed him in a plastic bag and took him home. He's gone
now, because I have him to Joanne [cover star of both 'Dog on Wheels' and
the 'Tigermilk' album], who I shared a flat with at the time. She's kept
hold of him and she's moved down to Lonon. So, Patch is probably living down
in the smoke, probably wearing a little beret and getting into the bohemian
lifestyle."

You've had some pretty disticntive press shots - Joanne with the dog on
wheels, cellist Isobel in a dusk mask. What's the thinking behind these?
"I think that, over time, these pictures will come to have a certain
relevance. At the start it was good to use Joanne, because that was the
outset of the band and they weren't comfortable having their pictures taken.
I think it's difficult to be intuitive at the same time as being guarded and
to anticipate things and worry about things, which I suppose has happened a
wee bit."

The girl who's "into S&M and Bible studies" in 'If You're Feeling Sinister'.
the devious priest in 'The State I am In' - would it be fait to say you have
an ambivalent attitude to Christianity?
"Yes, quite possibly, but I've never discussed it with a church person.
There are quite a lot of nun where I live and I'm always thinking maybe I
should talk to them about certain aspects of Christianity."

Do you still go running these days? (a subject that's addressed in the song
'The Loneliness of The Middle Distance Runner' as broadcast on the
Millennium Eve Tube special.)
"I still do it now and then and I still enjoy it, but I'm not going at it
very seriously these days. It used to be that if I hadn't run a few miles
every day I'd feel really guilty. I don't feel like that anymore. I still
find it really enjoyable though - to put on a pair of running shoes and run
off. That's probably a mystery to people who've never done it before...I
just put on my shorts and run off my frustrations."

***

Erica

P.s Oh, and when I said:
> and bumped out heads. Which was nice.
Earlier, I actually meant bumped *our* heads. Sorry, I had to correct it,
I'll only do a Dastoor and lay up all night thinking about it.