Sinister: The year is going, let him go

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Sun Jan 2 22:07:52 GMT 2000

Ring out, wild bells to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ahh, thanks for indulging me in some Alfred Tennyson. I thought it was
rather fitting for this time and season. Though personally, my year ended
more like the world in TS Eliot's The Hollow Men, "Not with a bang but a
whimper."  No wild parties or kisses for Laura Llew. In fact, I was even
sleeping when the new year arrived. Boring me but happy me because I am now
the proud owner of a new pair of narrow New Balances. Perfection in a shoe.

I was able to usher the New Year in nicely by having Belle and Sebastian be
the masterminds behind the music I listened to first this Millennium. It was
quite nice really. I was wondering though. Does anyone else have a tendency
to hook up the characters of their songs together?  I just think that String
Bean Jean and Lord Anthony would be great together. And the Boy with the
Arab Strap would compliment Lazy Line Painter Jane most perfectly. Perhaps
it's just me.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone else heard
the Looper song on the commercial for MyFamily.com.  Oh yes, the David's are
supporting family values AND health AND using the Internet (as long as it
ain't "freaky") AND being Up A Tree - where you will inevitably loose your
footing and plummet to the ground. But not before your leg catches on a
nail, your skin shreds and you need 20 stitches. Which will still leave a
scar shaped like an arrow on your right thigh even years later as a 22 year
old. And the only real memory of you have of the incident is the red helium
balloon that you had that you accidentally let go off and watched sadly as
it floated off into the night sky when you go home. Not that I'm in anyway
stuck in the past here.

So, does anyone have any lofty New Year's resolutions, such as to quit
biting your nails, lose weight, or to stop setting yourself on fire while
exclaiming to your friends that you *are* going to get a spot on David
Letterman this year.  I've always been much better at coming up with
resolutions for other people than actually thinking of changing myself. So
far, I have that -

1. Belle and Sebastian resolves to come up with a new album by March (hey
it's a leap year.. I even gave them one extra day to work in February. Talk
about generosity here).
2. That all drivers on the road will let me in when I'm trying to get into a
lane of traffic. AND that the others will remember that they do indeed have
a turn signal. They can even agree to actually USE it once in a while.
C. Stuart Murdoch shall fall madly in love with me.*
4. We shall have more classy boy photos on the body part page. Such as
Jygsaw Dave's knees, Jim Bob Gilmer's ears, Rupert Everett's stomach (a long
shot but hey so is Stu falling for me), and GEORGE DICKIE's ummm, erh, well,
whatever he wants to show... But please show discretion O'Henry
5. That everyone on the sinister list will read at least 5 books from Laura
Llew's Lovely Literary List of 99' this year. Just because the list is from
last year, does not mean the recommendations aren't out of date. Don't you
know that in book time that makes it a "Classic"? (Though I've noticed the
list is severely lacking in recommendations for Stuart David's book and for
The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner. Is there a reason for this? I
haven't read them yet and I was just wondering.)
6. The witty, intelligent, book adoring, dark haired, pixies and b&s loving
lad who was suppose to be under the tree on Christmas Day with all of the
Belle and Sebastian singles on CD will inform of exactly where he fell of of
Santa's sleigh at so that I may properly go and rescue him. (I always have
to do all the work in relationships). Unless, of course, he got distracted
by the elves and then really just let me live the rest of my life in misery
never knowing the truth. Really.

jealous of the elves,

Laura
* There is no reason for this symbol. I'm just trying to appear cool as if
you need to read footnotes to understand the content of my posts.

"Meeting all of your Laura Llew before you even knew you had them"