Sinister: Re: Senor Hansen

Chad Curtis xstensionchord at xxx.net
Sat Jan 8 15:35:13 GMT 2000

Well, I disagree. First of all calling anyone a genius or prodigy is
silly.  Yet, Beck is very compelling to me, because he is in the same
"over-spill" of modern culture. He's there with the few masses of us who
see mod-society as something non-linear and fascinating.   People put
labels on things (life, art, cultures) and in turn the "over-spill"
folks either make people uncomfortable or plain kinky.  In short it's a
celebration of what "is now".
    Speaking of originality [the Gilliam/SexxLaws video comparison]
Belle and Sebastian aren't in any aspect near original. In my opinion I
dispense individuality and think it is all ego oriented.   We want so
much to be tacked onto things we take as personal, but very seldom free
ourselves of it.  There is nothing new or revolutionary about B&S, just
as there isn't with Beck.  In music there is no one who owns anything,
whether it be note combination or pieces as a whole, because thousands
have played that same music at the very same time. Does anyone really
think what modern pop musicians do is new? In the bold truth, music
stopped being something new and original many decades ago. Yet, we can
still enjoy music's power and not rant and rave whether it's over or
under rated. There is no individual in life. We are one common influence
so to say.

the folowing was in response to>>>>>

<<<<I just need to say something, with my advance apologies to Zoe and
all Beck fans round here: am I the only person on earth who thinks that
he´s absolutely overrated ? I know what i´m saying, as I saw him
play live and i´ve got "Mellow gold" and "Odelay". He´s a funny lad,
with some clown-musicians, some nice singles but i´m miles far to see
him as this godlike genius that everyone wants to make me believe. I saw
the video of "Sexlaws" yesterday, and the song is good, but nothing
really special, and those machines having sex is nothing more original
than the Terry Gilliam´s animated shorts on The Monty Python´s
Flying Circus. And it was at the late 60´s - early 70´s.>>>>