Sinister: B&S content interleaved with rubbish

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Sat Jan 8 15:06:40 GMT 2000

Are you all mad?  Study at Stow is neither a description nor an order.  It's an
exhortation of sorts, kind of "C'mon kids - why not study at Stow - it's
GRATE!!".   I don't think I'm doing the cause any good, because my T-shirt has
funny white stains on it.  I really don't know what they are.  Susannah used to
ask us all to own up to getting up to hand whisky tricks to a B&S soundtrack.
Those were the daze.  I like this deliberate misspelling game alot.  Actually, I
don't.  It unsettles me.  'A lot' is TWO SEPARATE WORDS.  Unless you're talking
about divvying up spoils or something.   No one talks about spoils much anymore.
Someone like Nick Heyward once sighed live on radio when listening to 'She's
Leaving Home' and said "No one uses words like 'clutch' in pop lyrics anymore."
The Beach Boys will never be as good as the Beatles because they had a perfect
opportunity in 'Little Honda' but just went on about all the gears instead.
Mind you, everything's automatic in America, isn't it?

Hello everyone.  Still here?

I'm surprised that no one has posted about the B&S snippet in Select magazine
yet.  There's a mini-interview with Neil Robertson, talking about the new album.
I only read it in WH Smith, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of what follows.
Has anyone ever been told off for reading magazines at a train station Smith's?
Has anyone who works in a library ever taken the opportunity to shout "THIS
ISN'T A WH SMITH'S" at anyone who came in and asked for cigarettes or a pencil
case or something?

It turns out that 'Beyond the Sunrise' is another Stevie Jackson number.  It's
this one that has the sitars and the 'party sounds' that they recorded a while
ago.  As well as 'Family Tree' and 'Marx and Engels' and other things we've
known about since 1964, there are two completely new titles mentioned.  One is
another Stevie song, and I've forgotten its name ('Working Man'? 'Corporate
Lawyer'? Something like that, anyway).  The other is, horror of horrors, a
Stuart Mmmm song.  It's called 'The Model' and it has nothing to do with
Krautrock.  Why is it OK to say 'Krautrock'?  'The Model' b/w 'Computer Love'
was the first single I ever bought.  Nineteen years later, I'm still not sure
what a 'data date' involves.  Is it like 7-Zark-7 getting all flustered over
Susan in 'Battle of the Planets'?

Anyway, back to the egg.  There's still no title for it, not even a working one.
Well that's what NR says, but he's probably just not in on it.  Behind his back
the band probably giggle and say things like "Lets do some more noodly overdubs
on our new album 'Neil Robertson Is A Cunt'."

The rumours that every member but 'group dunce' Colburn has written something
for it are true.  Neil says it's like "Belle & Sebastian, but more so".  I'm not
sure this is a good thing.  I preferred it when Mark Jones said it would 'blow
my mind'.

That's all I remember.  All go to WH Smith and read it yourselves, you
cheapskates.  This isn't a book reading.

I am increasingly intrigued by the Isobel-encouraging men.  Is there no witness
on the list prepared to enlighten us?

nick xxx