Sinister: Instructions and FAQ updated for missprint.org

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Sat Jan 8 18:55:34 GMT 2000

                        Belle and Sebastian
                       Sinister Mailing List

   This is a list of questions for using the list. A list of frequently
   asked questions for Belle and Sebastian themselves can be found at the
   Jeepster Site at http://www.jeepster.co.uk/belleandsebastian/faq.

   I know this document is long but please take time to read it
   before you use the list.  Ignorance is no defence, and you're
   expected to have read and agreed to these before posting - if not,
   you might encounter the BLACK HOLE OF SINISTER.   And don't think
   I'm not aware, and slightly apologetic, about how long this is,
   but it's been reached at by agreement with the wishes of the
   majority of people who are on the list and have taken time to mail
   me about it.

   Finally, please always remember to check the Sinister WWW site
   regularly for list news:

   http://www.missprint.org/sinister

Mailing List Frequently Asked Questions

   Preface
   A. What's Sinister? What connection has it with the record
   company?
   B. What happens if I don't bother reading this?
   C. Before you start: sending plain text messages to the list

   Using the list
   1. How do I send messages, subscribe/unsubscribe from Sinister?
   2. So I just send everything to "sinister at missprint.org", yeah?
   3. I'm getting fed up with all these messages, can I get them all
   together sometime instead?
   4. Can I tell who is on the list?
   5. I can't get off the list - why not?
   6. I'm on the list but I've stopped getting any emails - what's
   happened??  --OR--  My list messages stopped and I get keep getting
   silly ones about a list called "honey-bounces" - what's all this
   about?
   7. I only just joined the list, can I see what's previously been sent?
   8. Someone mentioned something on the list and I can't remember when
   or what they said - shall I ask again?
   9. I need someone's email address from the list and I can't find it
   10. When I send a reply to the list the address my mail program
   decides to send to if I don't change it is stupid!  Why don't replies
   automatically go back to the list / the recipient only?

   List content and rules
   11. OK so it's a music list then?
   12. So what can we talk about on the list?
   13. So why can't anyone out there send any old junk to the list?
   14. Brilliant!  I can advertise my new band/floor cleaner/hygiene
   product to everyone on the list now!
   15. He/she's really winding me up, I'm going to slag them off
   something rotten...
   16. What else do I have to remember?

   Hints
   17. What is "Tigermilk" / what other recordings are there / who is in
   the band etc etc?
   18. Can someone record me a CDR, MD, MP3 of Tigermilk or another B&S
   release?
   19. I've found a shop selling CDR bootlegs...
   20. Hey I've found out Belle and Sebastian are releasing a single /
   playing a gig and no-one's mentioned it yet, I'm going to tell
   everyone...

   About the list
   21. Who provides this list?  Who says I can't do what I want on it?
   22. What has the list got to do with Jeepster, the record company?
   23. Do the band read the list?
   24. Why bother with all this?
   25. What sort of presents can I send to Honey to show him I love him?

                               Using the list

   A. What's Sinister? What connection has it with the record
       company?

   The Sinister list sprung fully-formed from the fiery backside of a
   list briefly set up on one of those WWW public services by
   the Belle and Sebastian "fan-club"; unfortunately these public
   lists don't work very well, so it was restarted on this server by
   me shortly after its birth.  It's the original fully-flavoured and
   pedigree Belle and Sebastian mailing list, set up in 1997, with
   about a thousand members.

   It's a very special list - not a "resource for fans", but a
   community of people who love the music of Belle and Sebastian,
   and who usually love each other, often ending up in each others
   underwear too.  It isn't for people who want quick one-shot
   answers to one-shot questions, or want to sell something, or
   want to show how cool they are (because I'm not), but is a safe
   hidey-hole for people who want somewhere they can contribute and
   receive thoughtful, imaginative and saucy thoughts about the
   band and everything that starts there and doesn't end up
   somewhere pointless.  Although it isn't solely a news list,
   you will also get Belle and Sebastian news promptly, passed on
   from record company mails or the band themselves.

   The list is run from Scotland, so it's pretty close to home,
   and many of the members are friends of the band - the band
   sometimes mail and often read too. This is worth remembering
   when you're thinking of sending in scurrilous rumours, amused
   though the band are by all that too though sometimes.  Please
   remember: although this list was originally called "the Official
   List" by Jeepster, it's entirely independent of the band and
   the record company - it's completely independent of all
   commercial concerns in fact, and is here for you.

   B. What happens if I don't bother reading this?

   The list has got too big and too hard to manage to tolerate people
   who want to show off, swap personal jokes with friends, use it as
   a forum to promote their ego, abuse others, or carry on blithely
   ignoring the rules below, which try to keep some sort of sanity
   for the many many people who receive every message. If it looks
   like you're blindly and deliberately ignoring the rules in this
   document over a long period of time, your mail might eventually
   stop getting passed through to the list unless you sharpen up.  If
   you keep on offending you'll get kicked and banned. I'm afraid
   this has become necessary as the list has grown and nearly now
   become unmanageable, and is something called for very strongly by
   the majority of listees.  But, listen, it'll only happen to people
   who've clearly ignored all this. Just please read ALL the rules
   before even thinking of posting.  And don't grumble :)

   C. Before you start: sending plain text messages to the list

   Please read the document:

          http://www.missprint.org/sinister/plaintext.html

   before sending to the list, otherwise your messages might never
   get through. It's a set of checklists to ensure the mail program you
   are using doesn't send unreadable formatting information to the list.

                               Using the list

   1. How do I send messages, subscribe/unsubscribe from Sinister?

   There are two addresses you need to remember to use the list:

   sinister at missprint.org

   - this is the address to send messages to everyone on the list.
   Everything sent here goes to everyone - the list software makes a copy
   of your message and sends it on to everyone who is subscribed.  You
   use this address everytime you want to mail information to the list,
   when you've been given the ability to post to it.

   majordomo at missprint.org

   - this is where you send mailing list requests i.e.
   subscribe/unsubscribes.  Messages sent here don't go to the list but
   perform certain commands - they should be sent in the body of your
   message (i.e. first line) and not the subject line.  There's not a
   person on the other end but a program which reads commands you send in
   your email and responds to them, so you need to type them exactly
   right.  To subscribe to the list you need to send the following
   command:

   subscribe sinister

   and equally

   unsubscribe sinister

   to get off the list.

   It's important you understand the distinction between these two
   addresses.

   Once you've joined the list you have to wait a little while before you
   can send a post to it.  This is to ensure that newcomers get a feel
   for list content, look through the archives and information on these
   WWW pages and soak up the list atmosphere before taking part.  The
   list is sufficiently big now that this time in the nursery for new
   members is necessary to stop the list going wild with new requests and
   questions that have been asked many times before and can be easily
   answered by looking in the Archives or Searching.

   This may all seem a bit harsh but this list is very special,
   usually extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful, and most list
   members consider themselves part of a warm community, sometimes even
   with occasional trouser fumblings.  I'd hate visitors to this page to
   see this as elitist - it's simply a way of introducing a warming-up
   period so that there's some continuity in the spirit of the list.  If
   you want a nice place to stay on the Internet, it's worth the wait,
   and I daresay you'll appreciate this measure when you're a proper
   member. If you rejoin the list later having gained a voice before,
   you'll get it back straight away.

   The current period you have to sit in the nursery and play with bricks
   for before getting a voice to post is 2-3 weeks (the procedure to give
   you a voice runs every week or so).  At that time you'll get a mail
   message telling you you have graduated and can now post.  It's still
   very important that you've read through all  the List Rules before
   taking part, as failure to follow them could result in your voice
   being permanently removed.

   If you ever get really stuck and you have read the rest of this page,
   then just send a personal message to

   honey at missprint.org

   This gets through to a person i.e. me and I can sort it out but
   I'll pull a face if you haven't tried everything suggested here.

   2. So I just send everything to "sinister at missprint.org", yeah?

   No!  Read again!  Never send unsubscribe requests to the list
   itself (i.e. sinister at missprint.org) but always to
   majordomo at missprint.org!!!   This is very important as you'll
   find people will want to throttle you if you send such messages to
   the list - it happens a lot and drives people mad.  I may be able
   to put a block on these and chuck them away but I do not have the
   time to manual subscribe/unsubscribe people who get it wrong.

   3. I'm getting fed up with all these messages, can I get them all
   together sometime instead?

   Yes, instead of subscribing to "sinister" you need to subscribe to
   "sinister-digest".  This means you get a single mail of all
   messages to the list rather than each message individually as
   someone send it.  Digests are sent out every now and again,
   probably about once a day but actually when the number of lines
   hits a certain threshold.   Just follow the same rules as above,
   so just send the message:

   subscribe sinister-digest

   to:

   majordomo at missprint.org

   Note the hyphen above, many people leave it out and it matters!
   Remember if you are changing to the digest to unsubscribe from the
   standard list.

   4. Can I tell who is on the list?

   Yes.  The first way is to click on the links on the main WWW page
   under "Joining".  Here you can see the full email addresses of people
   on the main list, the digest, and a breakdown of who on the list is
   from which countries.

   If you can't get to the WWW you can still get a list by email: just
   send the command

   who sinister

   majordomo at missprint.org

   Equally you can get some info on the list be sending:

   info sinister

   but you'll probably just get the same as you're reading here.

   5. I can't get off the list - why not?

   Don't mail me until you've read this or I'll get a bit grumpy.  There
   are several reasons why it doesn't work when you expect it to:

    1. You're not on "sinister" but the digest version which is actually
       a separate list called "sinister-digest".  You need to send an
       "unsubscribe sinister-digest" command.

    2. Your mail program is sending out your email address in a slightly
       different format than before (maybe you changed programs).  First
       you should check your subscription address by finding it in the
       correct list, using the "who" command or looking at the list from
       the top WWW page as described above.  If you see your address
       still on the list then try:

       unsubscribe sinister email-address

       There'll be a slight delay while this kind of request gets
       approved but it'll be a lot quicker than waiting for me to sort it
       out manually.

    3. You're actually off the list but mail is still dribbling through -
       again check the subscriber list from the WWW or using the "who"
       command.

   If none of this works and you're sure you're still on the list, then
   mail me, but send me the error you get when you try and unsubscribe.
   I can't do much without this.

   6. I'm on the list but I've stopped getting any emails -
   what's happened??  --OR--  My list messages stopped and I get keep
   getting silly ones about bouincing email - what's all this about?

   Often your service provider will have problems with its email setup
   and mail to you from the list will bounce back to me.  I get many of
   these a day and after mail has bounced once or twice you will be taken
   off the Sinister list or digest and put on another list to warn
   you regularly.  It keeps trying you until it gets through, i.e.
   your email is fixed and you can see the problem.

   The next thing to do is read the message!  It will
   tell you what to do.  You need to first take yourself off the
   bounce list (to stop getting the reminders).  You do this by
   sending a mail to "owner-sinister at missprint.org" the text of which
   says just "unbounce". You then need add yourself back on the
   "sinister" or "sinister-digest" as if you are a new user.
   If you were on the main list then you would send the following to
   majordomo at missprint.org (not sinister at missprint.org!):

   subscribe sinister

   You should get confirmation back that this has worked.

   If your address is having delivery problems (i.e. the list can't
   get through to you) then it will be receiving errors - to see if
   it is for you, take a look at the list of the last 30 internet
   service providers to generate errors to see if your delivery address
   has problems: just look for the file that contains the name of your
   ISP (something that looks like your email address) and look inside to
   see if it mentions your own account as giving an error.
   If you have tried all the suggestions in this list, contact the
   list owner.  But if you find an error message in this directory
   referring to your email, take a copy and shove it under the nose
   of your system administrator or service provider, asking them
   what's wrong.

   At any rate, if you stop getting list emails you should check you
   are still on the list by looking at the membership lists under
   Joining The List.  You could also check that there is mail
   currently arriving by looking at the list archives.

   7. I only just joined the list, can I see what's previously been
   sent?

   Yes there is an archive available on the WWW.  Just click on
   "Archives" at the top of the main Sinister WWW page which is at:

   http://www.missprint.org/sinister

   This is the last page of the current month's archive of messages.
   Follow the links from that page to see any week's messages on the
   list, and there are links to see messages in date order etc. if
   you prefer.

   8.  Someone mentioned something on the list and I can't remember
   when or what they said - shall I ask again?

   Well have a look in the archives first so you don't get told that
   it's been answered before.  Use the search facility on the WWW
   site - you can find it by going to the "Search" link at the top of
   the main Sinister page. You can search for any word or series of
   words by typing them in the box.  There are lots of options to
   search for different things.

   9.  I need someone's email address from the list and I can't find
   it

   Use the "Search" above to look for their name in the archive.
   Don't ask the list or you'll be spanked.

   10. When I send a reply to the list the address my mail program
   decides to send to if I don't change it is stupid!  Why don't
   replies automatically go back to the list / the recipient only?

   The setting for this list is that a Reply-to field is not set.
   This means that for most mail programs replies will go back to the
   sender of the message rather than the list itself.  This may or
   may not be the right behaviour for you, but is set as a most
   conservative and safest choice for the list.  This is a fairly
   religious issue but here's a quick discussion why I have done it
   this way.

   Please digest users in particular remember that a reply to a
   message in the digest will not go to the list.  It goes to
   "owner-sinister" which is a particular kind of black hole :)  I
   get these sometimes and I'm afraid the list takes too much of my
   time to manual send stuff on.  It'll get deleted very rapidly, so
   you'll just have to remember I'm afraid.

   The main reason is because it is generally seen as bad practice to
   do this,although it's quite widespread - see for instance

   http://www.unicom.com/FAQ/reply-to-harmful.html

   The reason for this isn't petty technical completeness but because
   it can cause very real problems - only in the last month my
   mailbox was filled with a thousand copies of the same error
   message caused by a badly constructed mail program at the
   receiving end by someone on the list - some of the bigger
   corporations just don't abide by standard Internet mailing rules
   and their programs send errors back to the Reply-To field, which
   and... you can imagine. For people picking up their mail via
   dial-up I can only imagine the nightmares this would cause.

			   List content and rules

   11. OK so it's a music list then?

   Well - sort of - but remember it's a list for People Who Listen To
   Belle And Sebastian and it's very existence is centred around that
   idea.  There are plenty of much more general music lists (e.g.
   "indiepop") which will be better suited to someone who wants to
   talk for hours about a particular genre.  These other lists have
   many more resources behind them and are there for just that.  Of
   course we're all going to talk about music/books/wallpaper we like
   but there's a balance to be struck.  It's actually quite a hard
   balance to find so the best thing to do is watch the list for a
   while and see what people like.

   12. So what can we talk about on the list?

   Anything vaguely connected with the band or with life as a fan of
   Belle and Sebastian, is OK.  The list is the place where you'll
   hear any real news about Belle and Sebastian first, but it is also
   a place where people will tell stories about what's happened to
   them, if they think they're funny or relevant. Try and remember
   this: it's a list for Belle and Sebastian but more importantly
   about the lives of People Who Listen To Belle And Sebastian.  If
   you want a low-volume news-only list for the band then don't
   join.  You will get a lot of mail that isn't about latest
   releases, gigs, appearances etc., but instead about ourselves.

   The list goes right when it's lively, funny, interesting,
   touching, and sometimes even useful. The list goes wrong when
   people post irrelevancies, not-so-funny "clever" quips, or long
   discussions take place which would be more suited to another list
   (like discussions of the relative merits of a band unrelated to
   B&S).

   I may step in if we get a long long conversation about something
   interesting to only a tiny minority of the list - some people pay
   handsomely for their email and would not be pleased to receive a
   thousand messages about an obscure band from Wigan who once
   sounded a bit like the intro to one of Belle and Sebastian's
   songs.  If you do receive a mail from me which asks you to stop
   posting to the list on a particular subject, or in a particular
   way, please don't be offended - I am just trying to keep this list
   running ok - but please do something about it.  I have seen too
   many lists die as a result of losing sight of what they are for
   and why people liked them in the first place, and don't want the
   same to happen here, if it can be avoided.

   Please try and be sensitive to the majority of listeners (about
   1000 at the time of writing) and do not continue long threads on
   an unrelated subject - if you wish to divert widely from the
   issues related specifically to the band, then go to a more general
   list or pop along to www.liszt.com and join another list as well!
   Pet theories about whether Elvis is a cat or indeed a brussel
   sprout are however tolerated for a long time because they amuse
   your list administrator.

   13. So why can't anyone out there send any old junk to the list?

   Because you can only send to the list if you are a member.  Some
   people may be on the list, but try and send from another mail
   account somewhere else - normally this mail will bounce back to
   you with a message explaining why.  Other people's mail programs
   send out the sender's email address in a different format from the
   address you subscribed with - unfortunately my computer doesn't
   know that and will again send back your email, explaining why and
   what to do.  This restrictions to posting to the list has been
   added, to remove the possibility of unsolicited adverts, and more
   importantly, to promote a sense of community and inhibit one-off
   mailshots from people who haven't taken the time to absorb the
   list's content and try and fit in sensitively.  This has been
   necessary as a lot of loyal list members have appealed to me to
   stop un-thought-out and careless emails from people who don't want
   to make an effort, and it's made the list very hard to read. I
   don't allow new members who read the WWW archives by choice, to
   post to the list I'm afraid, as it's just too easy to skip through
   one or two messages instead of committing yourself to be a member
   and therefore appreciate what a pain 40 pointless messages in a
   day can be in your mailbox.

   14. Brilliant!  I can advertise my new band/floor
   cleaner/hygiene product to everyone on the list now!

   Please please please don't abuse the list in this way.  Anyone who
   consistently and unashamedly sends adverts to the list will be banned
   with no court of appeal.

   15. He/she's really winding me up, I'm going to slag them off
   something rotten...

   DO NOT FLAME PEOPLE OR BE ABUSIVE!  I take this very seriously and
   will act accordingly - too many mailing lists have been ruined by
   arrogance or a quick temper by people who consider themselves "real
   fans" - a rather pathetic term.  This mailing list is setup for
   everyone, especially new enthusiastic listeners who do not need to be
   abused and belittled.  Please be helpful and if you can't think of
   anything nice to say go and do a jigsaw.  Anyone who is consistently a
   real pain will be permanently removed.   I am a naive kitten and I
   don't like fights on my list and I'll stop them - there are plenty of
   angry lists to go to if you want.

   If anyone feels they are being unfairly mistreated or have any other
   problems with the list please mail me rather than the list.  I will
   sort out any such problems offline.

   This of course doesn't mean you can't express strong feelings strongly
   - in fact it's mandatory.  But don't attack people, attack things.

   16. What else do I have to remember?

   Please read these and remember.  If someone consistently ignores these
   you might get a bit of a growl and in extreme cases I'll stop people
   posting and kick people off if the happiness of the majority on the
   list demands it.
     * Don't use the list to sell stuff or you will get an angry note
       from me - this list must stay strictly non-commercial to ensure
       its future existence.
     * Don't send warnings about viruses to the list!  You might be being
       friendly but 99.9% of these "virus warnings" are hoaxes - the only
       "virus" is the fact that you are passing it on, and everyone who
       knows will groan.  If you see one of these and aren't sure then
       mail me and I will check for you.
     * Don't send lots of replies to separate messages on the list one
       after another.  This doesn't seem to go down well.  Proper
       behaviour is to hold back, read a few messages and bundle up your
       replies to them all in one big message for the day. If you're
       sending more than two messages a day, unless in exceptionaly
       circumstances where you have something very important to tell us
       all, then you're getting it wrong, and will probably hear from me.
     * If you are replying to someone, take the time to edit the bits you
       are quoting from their message carefully and just quote a few
       lines.  If you can't be bothered editing the message you are
       replying to, don't bother sending - laziness on your own part
       equates to over 800 people having to page through stuff they've
       read before.  If you are adding fewer lines than you are quoting
       it's probably not worth sending either.
     * Don't comment on what is or isn't a "good mail" to the list, and
       the nature of content on the list please: comments such as "you
       shouldn't have posted that, it's not on-topic" or "I think we
       should be able to talk about ... and it's none of your business to
       stop us". These kind of discussions about  mailing lists on
       mailing lists are as old as the hills and go round and round - any
       attempt to "improve" list content inevitably results in an
       increasingly tedious well-trod path or "yes we can", "no you
       can't" and the list always gets worse. Mails about list content
       are not considered a valid subject for this list, and I will put a
       stop to such if I see them starting.  The correct response if you
       see postings you don't like is: (a) mail the sender politely and
       with panache, explaining why, and/or (b) mail me  and let me
       know.  If I get a few comments on a particular thread on the list
       I will always act to make it work for the majority of people; plus
       it makes me feel wanted.
     * Don't send number games/quizzes/petitions/jokes to the list
       please.  Put a bit of yourself into your posts.
     * If you really need some information on something that other people
       may not want to know, please make sure  you remember to tell
       people not to mail back to the list, but to you personally.  If
       you think others might be interested, say you will post a summary
       of the mails you received.  And, erm, do it.
     * Don't use the list for private mail to 5 people you know.  Please
       help my server stay unclogged so this list can survive.
     * Don't send lists of your favourite bands/films or anything to the
       list, and don't join in if someone else asks people to.  This is
       the plague of mailing lists the world over: lists  of "things I
       like" are usually completely useless the other end, and usually
       mean they want you to know how tasteful they are :)
       If you want to talk about bands you like, tell us why.
     * People will talk about a book or film or song or sandwich filling
       they love or hate.  That's fine - but please don't just say "it's
       great" or "it's crap".  Say why.  Just because a lot of people
       tell me they get fed up with these.
     * Please don't send messages with attachments to the list.  This may
       not be junk to you but there's still lots of people out there who
       don't use mail programs that know how to deal with anything but
       standard text.  And please remember some of us use Unix etc. as a
       principle platform and so attachments in proprietary formats (like
       Microsoft Word) will just be plain unreadable. If anyone wants to
       share material that isn't in standard text format, or that's of
       significant size, that's fine - just send it to me and I will post
       it up on the WWW site.  That way people get to choose to download
       it...
     * Don't fling any old message to the list or treat it like email to
       a few friends - it just doesn't translate on a massive scale and
       people will get irritated.  Think before you send.  The drill is:
       compose your message - hover your hand over the send button for 10
       seconds - think: "would Cliff Richard send this?" - send.

                                   Hints

   17.  What is "Tigermilk" / what other recordings are there /
   who is in the band etc etc?

   This list of answers doesn't cover any of that - it's just guidelines
   for using the list itself.  You can imagine that question like these
   get asked and answered all the time.  There's a set of answers to
   questions like these on the record company site at:

   http://www.belleandsebastian.co.uk/faq/index.htm

   Please make sure you read these if you're new before posting your
   question.

   18. Can someone record me a CDR, MD, MP3 of Tigermilk or
   another B&S release?

   Members of staff of Belle and Sebastian's record company Jeepster
   pop in and out of the list.  They are a business and have stated
   their position many times: they are happy for people to exchange
   analogue tape copies of B&S recordings, including Tigermilk, but
   draw the line at anything in a digital format.  This includes CDRs,
   minidisc recordings, and MP3 files on the Internet, and if they hear
   about people exchanging such formats, they often choose to contact
   the sender.  So, just as a warning, if you go mentioning it on the
   list, you'll probably get a letter from them.  People forget lists
   are public forums anyone can read.

   This is the position Jeepster take, in accordance with their own
   polices, and is a matter for them, too often discussed on the list:
   it just leads to acrimony and the whole debate on the list one
   more time.  If you want to talk about the ethics of it, make sure
   you've read through everything anyone has said about it and have
   something startlingly new to say.  Please also note that Jeepster's
   position is their own, not mine, and has nothing to do with the
   running of this list.  It also doesn't mean I approve or disapprove
   of what they do.

   19. I've found a shop selling CDR bootlegs...

   See above.  If you tell people on the list, then Jeepster have
   been know to write them a nasty solicitor's letter.  And remember
   that commercially produced bootlegs are usually poorly done, with
   no love for the music, and mean you're just giving more cash to
   some criminal who'll go off and spend it on Celine Dion LPs for
   his mum.  Don't do it.

   20.  Hey I've found out Belle and Sebastian are releasing a
   single / playing a gig and no-one's mentioned it yet, I'm going to
   tell everyone...

   Well you may  be right, but it's pretty likely you're not.  There
   seems to be masses of people/shops out there who "know" about release
   dates/gigs before the band or record company do.  To save everyone
   going out and booking plane tickets, I'd suggest you mail Jeepster
   to check before you post to the list.

                               About the list

   21. Who provides this list?  Who says I can't do what I want
   on it?

   The resources to run this list are provided by me and it is
   not a guaranteed public service - I will do whatever is necessary to
   ensure its continued existence.  If you want a completely unrestrained
   list where anyone can talk for weeks about anything, there are
   other lists which advertise themselves as unmoderated; or if you
   want a more constrained list that is moderated or band news only,
   then I'm afraid you'll have to go elsewhere too.  Or indeed you can
   go off and make your own list: that's what the Internet's for.

   I'm hoping I can keep this list going on the resources I have - but if
   it impacted too much I might have to withdraw it one day.  To ensure
   it continues therefore it isn't a public resource in quite the same
   way a newsgroup is.  So please be nice, be aware of who you're sending
   messages too, remember the list rules, and be public-spirited.

   22. What has the list got to do with Jeepster, the record
   company?

   Nothing formally at all.  The list isn't here to promote Jeepster, or
   indeed the band really, and we don't have to say only nice things
   about either of them.  Courtesy is required though.

   I'm making these points just to say that it's a separate, strictly
   non-commercial meeting place - if you want fan club or record
   company comment then go straight to Jeepster.

   23. Do the band read the list?

   The answer is pretty much: yes, sporadically.  The band have an office
   in Glasgow and a few members get Internet access elsewhere and they
   keep up with it on and off when it's interesting.  Please don't let
   that inhibit anyone from saying anything - remember it's your list,
   not anyone elses.  And don't expect an answer from the band to a query
   on the list - it's pretty unlikely.  Mail them direct from the link to
   the band WWW pages on the Sinister top page.

   24. Why bother with all this?

   Lists of frequently asked questions like this are usually formal and
   stuffy affairs so a personal note: I am a grumpy thirty-something who
   still refuses to listen to Eric Clapton or moan how good music was
   when he was 16 - it's hard though when we're surrounded by so much
   mediocrity, but we shouldn't kid ourselves it was any different 15
   years ago.  But when I heard Belle and Sebastian I jumped for joy at a
   band with genuine musical sense, charm, toughness and POPness.  So
   this is still all about music.

   25.  What sort of presents can I send to Honey to show my love?

   A very good question - honey of course, rude postcards or silly little
   toys.