Sinister: the future isn't always about foil mini skirts

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Tue Jan 11 07:33:09 GMT 2000

Hi all you future stars of pop and circumnavigation,
I just wanted to say I was in a bookstore the other day and
spotted "Oral" (ed. Sarah-Jane Lovett (I may have her first
name slightly wrong, sorry)). So finally I got to read some
of Stuart David's prose: "Piano Window Piano". And quite
liked it (though perhaps i'm a bit biased...) It's about a
narrator (or stuart) thinking about being another person, a
person who wrote a song sung by Elvis. So A)it's all
postmodern-like and B)Elvis is mentioned and C)that's just
the superdefinition of a good thing. I mean, at 11:26 on a
Monday night anyway...

On getting my ass kicked on sinister twice in a week: ow. i
don't fcking care though b/c i'm a black leatha masochist
w/ mulletude. beck was fun for new year's, i have no other
opinion b/c i don't own any of his albums so i can't
rightly say what else i think of his music. And
magnolia,well, I just said what i felt. yum, pretentious is
fun. I'm no critic and definitely not one for argument (yet
somehow i keep writing about movies to sinister. it's a sad
winter life, I think, requiring media media media. maybe
it's the new glasses and the clear mouvee screen.) anyway,
let the ass-kicking continue!

Yeah, so it snowed in Vancouver last night. And then melted
all day. Now the streets are treacherous (and i'm not even
on them). I've binged on film and am now onto books again,
trying to pace myself, but it's not working. Can't help but
race through Haruki Murakami's "Hard Boiled Wonderland and
the End of the World". Maybe it's my mood, but i'm finding
it damn good. But isn't everything mood... erm. mm. ooh
look, pink wafer cookies. i love me some red dye no.5.

gotta go. i've become frequent and obsessive.
sincerely yours in stumbling apology,
Robyn

but ps for coupland fans and those at all interested in
whether west coast canada is different from the rest:
"The city rewrites itself almost daily, and that's a big
reason we love it here." - Douglas Coupland in jan/feb
Vancouver magazine.  I, um, er, okay... i may have to move
to a less abstract place. i think what got edited out was
"and also why we simultaneously hate it."... but, yet
again, the value of contradiction goes unappreciated.
ohwell.

also, i don't really have a mullet. it's more of a squirrel
stuck to the top of my head with glue.

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC