Sinister: odds and ends

Januarythaw at xxx.com Januarythaw at xxx.com
Thu Jan 13 10:06:33 GMT 2000

I was parusing this site for an article about another musician when I came
upon these two things for Belle and Sebastian. Thought I would share them
with you all...

http://www.theavclub.com/bonusfeature1.html  the lists are of the best albums
of 1999.  its on toward the bottom so you'll have to scroll down, I think
these lists were made by writers for the onion.

And these two reviews were written some time ago. How long? I'm not sure, i
dunno if anyone even cares but I figured perhaps you would. well take care
ciao
iris
i am drunk with gravity

Belle & Sebastian
The Boy With the Arab Strap
(Matador)
The Glasgow-based musical cooperative Belle & Sebastian's out-of-nowhere
American debut If You're Feeling Sinister was one of last year's most
striking albums. The tightly structured, but never predictable, pop and the
literate, fey lyrics of singer and songwriter Stuart Murdoch combined to
create a sound that prompted thoughts along the lines of, "Oh, so that's
what's been missing." "No one writes them like they used to, so it may as
well be me," Murdoch sang on "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying," and it
sounded like a mission statement; sunny-sounding British pop and sensitive
alienation hadn't gone so tightly hand-in-glove since The Smiths, a
comparison from which the group, however disingenuously, shies away. Sinister
was followed by a series of exciting Eps (Lazy Line Painter Jane, Dog On
Wheels, and 3...6...9 Seconds Of Light) that sometimes echoed that album and
sometimes didn't, expanding B&S's sound in ways that worked more often than
not. For every song that didn't quite connect, there were two that connected
brilliantly, indicating that the eight (and sometimes more) band members
weren't content to repeat a winning formula. The follow-up to Sinister, The
Boy With The Arab Strap, is in the vein of those Eps. Boy offers up pleasures
less immediate than Sinister, but they're ultimately just as substantial. "It
Could Have Been A Brilliant Career," the title track, and "A Summer Wasting"
have a familiar, acoustic-dominated sound. But then there's the antiquated
electronic noises heard on "Sleep The Clock Around" and "Is It Wicked Not To
Care," which hands the vocals over to a female member (the typically cryptic
liner notes don't indicate a name). While it might be a better album without
the spoken-word "A Space Boy Dream" and the uncharacteristically terse
"Chickfactor," it's possible to see their inclusion as a good thing. (The
same can't be said, of course, for the occasional moments that sing the
pains-of-being-a-rock-star blues. Nobody, except possibly other rock stars,
cares.) While not a pristine instant classic like its predecessor, The Boy
With The Arab Strap announces that Belle & Sebastian is in it for the long
haul, and seemingly committed to not standing still. As long as it keeps
turning out material as lovely as the album-closing "The Rollercoaster Ride,"
that's a wonderful thing. --Keith Phipps

Belle And Sebastian
Tigermilk
(Jeepster/Matador)
Maybe it's no coincidence that one of the most exciting, least conventional
bands to emerge in the latter half of the '90s also had one of the least
conventional starts. Picked up as the project of a university marketing
class, the ever-expanding Scottish band Belle And Sebastian unexpectedly
achieved stardom on a small scale with its first album, Tigermilk. Expanding
its audience in both Europe and the U.S. with the masterful If You're Feeling
Sinister, the group proved that the world, or at least an enthusiastic cult,
was ready for sensitive teen music for grownups: ornately crafted melodies
accompanied by lyrics that were clever without being cute and dominated by a
personality that was sensitive and retiring without being mopey. In the wake
of this success, Tigermilk, originally limited to 1,000 copies, took on a
nearly legendary quality, becoming widely bootlegged and even more widely
sought after. Wisely, it's now been reissued legitimately, and it almost
lives up to its reputation. The album-opening "The State I Am In" could sound
a bit more impressive, but only because B&S cut a better version of it on an
EP, and it's hard to imagine the band outdoing the versions of the two songs
that follow. "Expectations" and "She's Losing It" more than live up to high
standards set by the group's later work, displaying the ability to
incorporate a small orchestra's worth of instruments into economical pop
melodies while staking out unique lyrical territory. (For example: "Your
obsessions get you known throughout the school for being strange / Making
life-size models of the Velvet Underground in clay.") That's true of most of
Tigermilk. The faux-electronica of "Electronic Renaissance" lends the album
one of its few head-scratching moments, while "I Don't Love Anyone" finds
chief songwriter Stuart Murdoch still struggling to find his voice, but
nothing gets in the way of making Tigermilk an essential album for both Belle
And Sebastian fans and virtually everyone else. --Keith Phipps