Sinister: It's Trad W, Dad

robhalcrow at xxx.net robhalcrow at xxx.net
Fri Jan 14 19:36:25 GMT 2000

 I said (only to myself) I wasn't gonna post anymore. If you can't trust yourself who can you trust?
    Trad W gave me awful visions of a groaning Acker Bilk. Would he take his bowler hat off?
  B&S on The Tube was all very well but the real highlight in this house was "Cheer Up" Peter Reid in the bar with Macca. Alright, in the background round the corner, then. (Indie Pop Stars On Trains Part2: On the way to Sunderland to see them nearly beat Man U I shared the air (in and out of unwholesome lungs) with Gene's Martin Rossitter). Peter Reid is a Messiah of sorts. As for the other one, my brother (who is dep.ed of The War Cry y'know) told me he reckons Christ himself got 'inebriated'  cos when the Pharisees accused him he didn't bother to deny it. And didn't they get through a lot of wine?  Cliff might have to rethink his next release.
    The old/new music thing..... When people did last try specifically to come up with a new way of writing music they got 12 tone (10 more than The Specials admittedly) and that's pretty near unlistenable, isn't it? All there really is, it seems to me is new mixtures of old ingredients. Being new isn't a virtue in itself. For me, I love a blinding tune, which is something timeless. That's what drew me to B&S in the first place. Regardless of lyrics Stu M has a great way with a tune.
  Someone said bass players get the weird groupies. So if any weird groupies want to get in touch............
   I'm surprised no-one on the list mentioned Hal Hartley's The Book of Life on BBC 2 (sorry non-British people). I only watched it cos Sinister people had raved about him. I thought the story was intriguing and PJ Harvey did a good job as Mary Magdalene. The music worked very well. My only problem was the slow jerky blurry camera. It was really.......unnerving? distracting? annoying?
  So much to say, so little of interest so I'll leave it there.
 Remember: fool's approval stings.
Yours
Rob.
PS Don't forget the Ear Confection site:
www.send.demon.co.uk