Sinister: the mighty scream, reminiscing and reading reccommendation

rachel tucker rachel at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 17 12:40:48 GMT 2000

hey everyone

i went to see primal scream last night and it was the most unbelievably
fabulous fantastic gig i have EVER been too!!! they played this tiny venue
in oxford which was absolutely heaving, and they crammed 9 people on a stage
which has problems accommodating 5, having to squeeze duffy and his keyboard
behind one amp stack, and proceeded to create the most amazing sounds i have
ever heard.

i can't get over how songs that i absolutely adore could be made 10 times
better!! i've seen the primals once before and they were good, but this was
magnificent. they showcased loads of songs from the new album 'exterminator'
which i *think* is out january 31st, which you should all go buy cos on the
basis of last night it has to be stunning. every time i close my eyes i can
picture bobby gillespie looking just such a rock god, even GRINNING during
kowalski!! i didn't think anything could get any better, when as a final
encore they played an emotional 'movin' on up'. wow. the whole place
erupted, it was mental. i am so happy!! can you tell?!

i am listening to 'vanishing point' very loudly now, that is why this post
is *even* more disjointed than usual, cos i keep stopping to dance around
the living room. my cat thinks i have lost it. she is giving me quizzical
looks.

when i was younger i was damn good at P.E. i was even in a county cross
country competition thing. it nearly killed me though, and i think that was
when i started on the slippery slope to become the unfit lazy skiver i am
today. first i stopped doing the running events in sports day, and did the
jumps instead. i had a bit of a respite by discovering a knack for triple
jump, but i really couldn't be arsed.

i was in the useless/skiver group while everyone else was doing gcse, which
was funny. as we were the sporting scum of the school we only ever did
trampolining (pervert teacher alert) or badminton on a continual rotation
for two years. now, i am shit scared of heights so there was no way i was
jumping on that trampoline. by the time those two years were done they'd got
me on the trampoline, where i sat on it clutching to the sides until my 30
second 'go' was over. badminton was hilarious. i am terrible at all sports
that involve some sort of racket/stick. and badminton was the worst. did
anyone else have leagues where you moved up/down the courts? well our
teacher sectioned off the bottom court for myself and my 3 partners in
skiving laziness, where we sat and chatted for the lesson. just as long as
we turned up, brought our kit and got changed that was fine!! and people
moan that schools don't put enough emphasis on sports!

maybe i'm just ultra unobservant (which could well be the case) but i'd
never noticed jim gilmer's e-mail ending thingy before. it's a jeff noon
quote from 'vurt' which is one of the best books ever. just because you can
find jeff noon in science fiction sections in bookshops, don't let this put
you off. i can't stand 99.9% of science fiction, but jeff noon, he's
something else. he draws you into this manchester-based world, and honestly
you get in so deep that it's hard to get out again. his books are
astonishing, they really are. go read!

if you've got this far you will be over the moon to know i am going now, off
into my primal scream soundscape

lots of love

rachel xxx