Sinister: and the snow is finally falling & my fair neighbor to the south

ipecac spice dchard at xxx.ca
Mon Jan 17 19:15:07 GMT 2000

hi everybody. it's been snowing for about 24 hours here in
halifax/dartmouth. it used to snow here but ever since i started
university we've had a mysterious lack of snow. it generally tends to snow
and then the rain washes it all away. today the bus was sliding around.
kind of scary. i always wonder what is so important that people would
actually drive their cars somewhere during a snowstorm. it would take a
lot to get me driving around today. joyously the weather led to my
afternoon class being cancelled.

so i just have to comment on the canada comment by the texan. certainly we
are very much like the states. i think that our wishy washy insecurity
makes us a bit more humble though. i have nothing against many americans.
my cousin is american nd he isn't all that bad. but i have a part-time job
in a souvenir store. this past summer we had a lot of cruise ship coming
up from new york and those people were some of the worst people i have
ever met. they made no effort to understand our money ("can i pay for this
in dollars?" not understanding that us canadians have dollars as well) and
most of them got really angry that we had to give them canadian change,
even though we're really doing them a huge favour by letting them use
their currency at all. people from new jersey complained to me that they
had come "up here" to get away from the heat and not realizing that it can
get hot in the summer here. many of these people expressed surprise that
our prices were in canadian. one of the best was the sailor who asked if
my parents were american b/c my american was so good! then he said that he
thought we all spoke french. anyway. it was all very entertaining but also
frustrating at times. i know it was probably not the most representative
sample of americans that i saw but they were overwhelming in their
ignorance (i could tell more). i don't really know what my point was. i
guess just that until people are out of their country you may not get to
see them as other nationalities do.

sorry for bothering you all with so many posts lately. i have this secret
hope that if i keep posting eventually someone will give me a list crush
vote. then again people would probably be more likely to vote for me if i
agreed to stop posting. i wonder if you get notfied of the crush if you
vote for yourself...hmmm...

-di

"i respect those who have faith even though they are ignorant"
-hemingway