Sinister: let's hear it for the sin in sinister

mike windisch windisch24 at xxx.com
Tue Jan 18 15:05:53 GMT 2000

Morning all,

just thought that I would chime in on this gym class talk before the thread
gets stale:

I remeber being picked last a few times out on the kickball court, and while
it did contribute to some self-esteem shrinkage it also cause my skin to
grow somewhat thicker.

Other fond memories of elementary school gym class were those little
four-wheeled scooter thingies that you would kneel on and careen around the
basketball court on and smash into each other with. Fun, fun.

We also had this one teacher who would bring us outside for a healthy game
of bombardment with about 10 of those rubber kickball things. The best part
was that he would play on one of the sides and vent his teacherly
frustrations on the discipline problems in our class by knocking the shit
out of them with some grown-manly hurls of the balls. I found this somewhat
odd but really funny at the time. Now I find sidesplittingly hillarious and
can only image the sensation of satisfaction Mr. Sahugnessy had when he
knocked the legs out from under Scott Sawyer's evil minion body and sent him
sprawling on the floor. The kid deserved it and the teach delivered. What a
guy.

Maybe these gym-related experiences led to my lifelong participation in the
foremost marginalized-weirdo-cum-artist sport, skateboarding. What with the
speed, the spills and the freedom of floating and schralping any line that I
can conceive and physically acheive, I'm to this day reaping rewards that
those heartless playground captains could never bully themselves into.
(karmicly enough, after I penned this self-inflating ode to my raison
d'etre, I braved the went to the skatepark and promptly kilt myself while
rolling into the bowl on my first run.)
-----------
On another front I'd like to send out a swarthy wink to that iris lass for
actually writing something that could be characterized as sinister on the
list for once.

"she reminds me of a penguin with a unibrow. she's a nice enough broad i
suppose."

iris also quoted the stones, who have been enjoying an epic run as the
monopolizers of my record player for some weeks now. I'd just love to hear
Stu and Belle and the boys do a rendition of "heart of stone", but I doubt
they ever will, because frankly they lack the balls.

Whilest i'm stirring up controversy with such sacriligeous opinions as b&s
being the finest purveyors of wuss-warble to ever strum twitch and twitter,
I may as well go whole hog and ask (from that gloriously insulated
perspective of american ignorance) what the appeal of this twee thing is.

Is it a sense of gentile refinement and cultivated taste? Is it softness,
sweet smells and kisses that last for hours? Or is it a bunch of image only
pantywaists wearing prop glasses, smoking imported cigarettes and making a
pretensious spectacle of themselves?

educate me, please.

toodles, and if anyone else going to guided by voices in beantown tonite and
wishes to hoist a few, drop me a line.

mike windisch