Sinister: Belle and Sebastian in the sun

Simon Aurell js.aurell at xxx.se
Tue Jan 18 19:24:41 GMT 2000

I bought some records online a while ago, and if you've ever done that then you know what hell I'm going through.
When you've finally decided to buy those records (in my case eight of them, I had some cathing up to do) and have hit the submit button, you go round feeling happy just like you would have if you had bought them in a regular shop, only you won't get that deep feeling of satisfaction putting them onto your cd-shelf - and certainly not the even greater joy of actually listening to them. So then you'll have to wait for like two weeks, without the records you feel like you've already bought, but still unable to buy others knowing you must save money to pay for the ones you're waiting for. Sigh.
I discussed with a friend of mine the idea of taking some time off from life for a while and only spend money on records. We came to the conclusion, though, that you need to have a life to get something out of them. Music needs something to relate to to make it worthwhile, and is to be enjoyed in the light of your own experiences (as for Belle and Sebastian, also in the light of candles).

I introduced B&S to my saxophone teacher today.. his comment was something like "well, er, it's the kind that makes you happy". Somehow it doesn't sound very positive, more like the only thing he could think of that wasn't a total dismissal. But then again he's not so very P!O!P! is he.
By the way - it's really annoying - they don't make guitar strings the way they used to. A week ago I decided I really had to change the d-string, since it was nearly broken. And now it almost is again, the bluddy crap, contrary to the other strings, which have been there for several months.

This summer (or spring), I hope, me and some friends will sit in the green, lush park in the middle of the city and play Belle and Sebastian (and maybe some peace songs as well) in the sun, drinking alcohol and laughing. How's that for a way to spend a summer's day? Oh, really, it WILL be heaven.

And I nearly forgot - thanks to James, Ian and Jen who all answered some question I posted a while ago.

Love,
Simon