Sinister: B&S in unusual places

Martin Horsfield mart at xxx.uk
Tue Jan 18 23:54:21 GMT 2000

Rebecca's post about hearing B&S in Starbucks reminded me that while
Christmas shopping in WH Smith's, Berner's Plaza, the twinkly Christmas
music was replaced for three minutes or so by one renegade shop
assistant who treated the yuletide throng to 'The Boy With The Arab
Strap'. Received wisdom about ambient noise in shops would lead you to
believe that at this point I skipped merrily to the counter with my copy
of 'The Naked Chef' (it was for my sister, honest). But actually I put
the book back on the shelf and popped down to JJB.

What was I posting about? Oh yeah, just to remind you that Monica
Queen's first ever solo recordings are still residing at

http://www.wellcut.com/monicaqueen.htm

should any of you want to cock an ear. (If any of you have cocked an
ear, firstly ooh that sounds painful, and secondly we'd appreciate it if
you would tell us what you think of Monica's songs). "The Belles", as
only she calls them, are apparently big fans.

One last thing, It's Jo And Danny play the Water Rats, King's Cross, on
February 1st. If Low-meets-Kevin Shields sounds like your thing, you'd
be advised to go see them.