Sinister: Sorry, everyone's entitled to one angry post.. right?

Curtis Heath sadandsentimental at xxx.com
Wed Jan 19 00:49:31 GMT 2000

Tiago wrote:
>unmade bed- it's NOT art and can NEVER be
>art, even if there's a whole
>art gallery or museum, full of so-called >artists or art critics waving
>their hands in ecstasy, praising the slob for >its genious.
>roten culture

My dear boy...
At first I thought your post wouldn't merit a response from me. But I was wrong.
Giving the Sinister list a lecture on what IS and IS NOT art, I would assume, would not be a wise thing to do. Are you trying to be the Joseph Goebells of this list? No doubt you've never heard of him, because that would require some actual KNOWLEDGE of art. Goebells was Hitler's sidekick in charge of confiscating the "expressionistic and abstract" works of europe. Hitler, as anyone elementary history class will teach you, was a failed artist. He couldn't grasp abstract ideas. So, many years later, he stole and destroyed everything that he considered "degenerate art."
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not art. That probably means it IS art. What is Belle and Sebastian to Haydn or Mozart? Out of context, they are nothing. But, to put Sinisterines in the role of those "ecstatic art-critics," it pulls it all back into context- we understand them. We love them.
We love that they are the music for us, for OUR time.
Take the time to read about everything you don't understand. I'm not calling Tiago a nazi. It was his words, "roten culture" that rang just a bit too familiar in my ear.
Art is not beautiful. Art is anything.

.

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/