Sinister: I've got nine fingers on you!

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Wed Jan 19 03:28:00 GMT 2000

Hmmm...so what is the deal with ATP?  I like the new line-up alot more now
that SFA and Sonic Youth are in it but it still doesn't make me as excited as
Bowlie did (not that I went to that either, but its the principle or
something).  If B&S are supposed to be touring throughout the UK during that
time period, as they're rumored to be, then perhaps a "suprise guesting"
would not be unimaginable.  How many Sinistereens are going?  I know a good
lot of you sold your tickets back when the September gig was shot...
I just fixed my record player once and for all so all this week I've been
listening to albums without a horrid hiss for the first time.  TBWTAS sounds
incredible, but I think the B-side to "Beach Boys Today" might be the best
thing I've heard in my life.  I'd kill for an original mono-LP of Pet Sounds.

Speaking of audio research, I also went back over my CD collection this week
and listened to all of them with headphones.  "The Soft Bulletin" is just
crazy!  Not only does it sound amazing through your standard stereo, but they
manipulated nearly every single track to pan or distort in some way that you
can only appreciate with headphones.  TBWTAS sounds entirely too cluttered
this way, unfortunately.
This bring me to a debate just waiting to happen: mono mixes verses stereo
mixes.  To clear a few things up for those scratching their heads, a mono mix
of an album is one where every instrument is panned in the center, so
effectively everything comes out of both speakers equally.  This is how all
the Beach Boys and Phil Spector records were (and are) still done, and the
early Beatles records too.  Stereo mixes involve certain instruments being
shifted to one speaker or headphone depending on how the artists wants it to
sound.  This is pretty much how all the new mixes are done, with few
exceptions.  You get a huge, enveloping but sometimes cold sound.
I like mono-mixes myself, just because you get that beautiful muddy tone when
you do it right.  Its not very powerful like the modern records, but it just
sounds smoother and warmer to my ears.
Ummm...thats about it.  I'll be 20 in two days.  That sucks cause I was just
getting used to 19...

Steve C.