Sinister: long time no chat! plus Help for Bootlegging PLEASE!:)

Kin WOO daftpunk at xxx.au
Wed Jan 19 09:10:22 GMT 2000

Dear Sinisterinies
Hello to you all and a very happy and belated New Year greeting! Hope you
guys all had a great and unforgettable New Year's Eve and ushered in the
New Year in fine style. Unfortunately *I* was working (as a waiter at the
Hyatt hotel). Not only did I have to work from 6 or so in the evening till
3:30 the next day! But I had a headache AND I WASN'T TIPPED:) (I know that
sounds greedy but there was all this hype about getting tipped generously
in New Year's Eve in previous years and you'd have expected even bigger
sums on *this* occasion) Ah well at least I was paid triple my normal
amount:)
For some peculiar reason unknown to me; Perth, W.A. is turning from
cultural desert to be full of great events. Recently have been to see Smog
(very lovely and wonderful) and also Cat Power. She (alone) was doing
musical accompaniment to the classic silent film, "Passion of Joan of Arc"
(a super slow-moving film and never have I seen so many close ups of the
wide-open eyes of the lead actress Renee Falconetti but still very
intriguing). It was intermittently transcendent- when it worked both music
and image gelled together to create a feast for all senses that was very
stark and moving. But it was ruined by her apologies for putting on a
"crap show" (the audience was very appreciative and WE all thought it was
going well but obviously not her) and half-an-hour from the end of the
film, she said she was going for a drink of water and never came back.
Swindled. Listees who have seen her before, does this happen often?
Bootlegged both gigs with my microcassette corder and it turned out quite
well. Just yesterday went to see his Dark Majesty himself, Nick Cave sans
Bad Seeds but with Warren and Jim from Dirty Three and a bassist. They
played at the Belvoir Amphitheatre, a gorgeous natural venue that is a
good 45 minutes out of the city but well worth the trip. It has steps made
out of grass and wood on which to sit and picnic on and it is surrounded
by tall trees which make it seem like some magical reserve hidden in time.
Nick Cave played all his most beautiful, heart-breaking and just plain
breath-taking songs. Stuff like "Love Letter", "Ship Song", "People Ain't
No Good" were so tear-jerking and delicately beautiful that all you could
do was swoon. We sat sorta near the back (we arrived late) but still had a
pretty good view. There were these two hippie over-the-hill rejects who
kept heckling and were forcibly ejected (too late if you ask me) much to
the cheers of the crowd. Why do people pay $55 to heckle the band? Someone
please answer me!
Also bootlegged this gig but it didn't turn out very well at all. The
vocals are clear as is the music but there is so much background
static/tape hiss (is it because it was outdoors?) that it nearly obscures
it. All you bootleggers out there (don't worry I'll be discreet and not
reveal your names, PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS ON HOW TO DO A PRETTY GOOD BOOTLEG!
I just want a good memento of the great time I had at the gig:) not for
any kind of financial reason (i.e. selling these tapes or something)
Please tell me ASAP if you can help me out. Obviously the best thing to do
would be to get more sophisticated equipment but let's presume I have very
little money (a good assumption) ok? How do you record sans tape hiss or
how do you get rid of it afterwards-HELP!:)
Previously the International Festival of Perth was barren of any kind of
really interesting events but this year is chockfull of 'em. First up is
The Weir, that highly acclaimed ghostly play which I wanna see. Has any
listees seen it and if so, what's it like? Also *gasp* Dot Allison (her
out of the heavenly and legendary One Dove whom I intermittently rave
about) is coming and I've never been more excited about a gig since
Radiohead came in '97. This would be on par with if B&S came, i.e.
relatively obscure (though of course B&S are pretty well known) but genius
band dares to be different and NOT ignore Perth! How amazing is Dot
Allison going to be? I'm just SO EXCITED!
WOOHOO! When I first read it, I couldn't believe my eyes. Just said,
"ohmigod!" for a full ten minutes and would have let out a little yelp too
if I wasn't in a public place.
Oh of course Big Day Out is coming (cool summer festival) with the lovely
Beth Orton, Chems, Primals, Basement Jaxx- what did I say about a sudden
deluge of brilliant things to see and do?:)
Anyway have really gotta skedaddle- please if anyone has any advice or
info (re: Cat Power, The Weir AND especially bootlegging) please email me
privately
Ok love ya and leave ya
Seeya
Kin Woo