Sinister: Lloyd's Names, and the rest

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Thu Jan 20 21:04:39 GMT 2000

The other day somebody mailed re. the dearth of unusual names in pop songs.
(Odd, given the proliferation of ditto in pop stars' children's names?) But
some do spring.

1. The oddest name in pop that I've heard is in Ray Davies' 'Holiday
Romance'. So odd is the name that I've forgotten it. It's a bit like
Millicent or Tabitha.

2. Speaking of a Millicent, Lloyd Cole had one in 'Big World', B-side of
'Lost Weekend' (1985). And LC has used loads of other unusual names: Jesus,
Jody (but not Judy?), Rusty, Jesse... (see Papercuts 2 for more details).

3. 'One little girl's called Jane-Marie / Another little girl's called
Felicity / One little girl's called Sally-Joy...'

4. 'Michelle / Ma Belle / Sont des mots qui...'

I don't know: there are loads. What we should do is a names-in-songs
service. Folk who feel under-represented in pop should say so, and it
shouldn't take long to come up with a song that does feature their name.