Sinister: Caffeine intolerant

Michele Waggner m.waggner at xxx.net
Fri Jan 21 13:32:20 GMT 2000

Casarotto-the-Suave surprised me by mentioning the Violent Femmes in a
favorable light.  I'm trying to picture him with a baseball cap on backwards
spilling beer all over a sweatshirt with Greek letters on it (which letters,
I assume, spell "Abercrombie").  I can't quite see it.  Maybe it would be
Art.  You can't spell Casarotto without "a-r-t" , you just have to move them
around a bit.   However, Violent Femmes are indeed grate... sometimes you
just need a good time.  The first time I saw them, which was longer ago than
I can say anymore, there wasn't a frat boy in sight.  It was in fact at a
folk music concert in the shadows of the battleship on the Hudson River.
They shared the stage with the likes of Odetta, Joan Baez, Suzanne Vega,
etc.  When they sang "Country Death Song" I laughed my (american) ass off --
Mr. Hopkins would love it just for how it takes the piss out of Dylan.
Which was my take on it anyhow.  A couple of years ago, the VF came to play
at a university in this town, big event here where nobody EVER plays.  It
was an outdoor gig, and the neighbors were up in arms.  One man rented
himself a loudness measuring device and lurked around the university and
abutting streets documenting the sonic impact of the band and  writing down
all the vulgar words they used to prove how people were imposed upon while
they sat on their front porches.  Much debate ensued in the "Letters to the
Editor" column.  We now get no more live outdoor music that isn't symphonic
or swing in this town... and the lurker is on the Board of Education --
diligence rewarded.  Life in New England.

As for Kate Rusby... yes indeed, she is GRATE.  I think she should be given
an honorary list membership so that Mark can vote for her as his list crush.
He'll want to after he sees her.  (And he likes it when Miss Vicky gives him
a good beating, don't let him kid you.)  I was lucky enough to see Miss
Rusby when I was in London and I think you all should go.  It was very
"fucking B+S" as we used to say.  The other 90% of you who can't go to the
show can all go to her website and hear her magnificent voice at
http://www.purerecords.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Martin, whatever did you want to know about Jefferson Airplane that you
didn't learn on the Fulton Street set?  I think your listening might be
enhanced if you twined some flowers in your hair.  Write me if you want to
know something... I'm no expert, they were the favorite band of my ex, but I
did dabble quite a bit.  I liked "Triad" quite a bit, but that was back when
we were sexually revolting...um, revolving :)

Speaking of boxed sets, the thing to do to maximize sales is to add the all
important "extra track" or "previously unreleased track" which you take from
some bootleg everyone already has anyway.  Then you get to say, "we did it
for the kids, so they'd all be able to have it and we get to foil the
bootleggers at the same time."  Don't forget to release it in all formats as
well.  One good thing about bundling them all up together is that people
then spend the whole amount at once, rather than choose to buy them one at a
time as funds permit.

Speaking of Hopkins, which I did above, I heard he was writing a novel which
was to be serialized here.  I believe it was titled, "Up Against the Wall,
Motherfucker."  I don't think he ripped that off from J.A. though.

Play nice kids,

--Michele (young at heart and reasonably ignorant, vying for the title of
"Machiavellian Bitch Queen of the Millennium" )