Sinister: pish posh tit for tat

mike windisch windisch24 at xxx.com
Fri Jan 21 14:48:48 GMT 2000

amusing and arty anectdote:

just this past weekend whilest doing my duty as an arts writer for this
local citypaper,  I motored down to wakefield to take in an gallery show of
balinese art. Among the featured pieces was a traditional xylophone and a
bigass metal gong.

There were a few posh couples browsing for that special expensive something
to hang over the sofa/divan/barkalounger. They were the type who checked the
dimensions and price before really seeming to look at the piece to decide if
they liked it aesthetically. I equate these folks with those annoying shits
who go to museums and only see the wonderful works through the lens of their
video camera.

So, on my way out, after indulging in a farewell flirt with the lovely
gallery girls, I strode purposefully up to the gong, grabbed the handmade
mallet and did my holy duty and wacked the bejesus out of that gong with a
most untwee intensity. From it arose a wonderfully loud, rich and resonant
tone that shook the walls and made those upper-crust-kooks jump clean off
the floor and almost out of their skin. I shared one last lingering smile
with the gallery girls and went on my way.

Being the polite sort that I am, I waited until I was outside to let loose
with some well-earned laughter.

In other developments, I actually listened to some b&s last night while
driving through the snowstorm. pretty crackling good stuff.

Just a thought:
the lovely weaver lass whose aquaintance I have just recently been blessed
with making, told me on the phone last night that for her architecture class
she had to write a piece on eavesdropping. With all the talk of bus riding
and lurking in clubs that goes on in this forum, it seems like sharing the
fruits of this most enjoyable form of experiencing diversity and garnering a
chuckle from the rabble all around would cause sinister smiles to grow,
n'est pas.

At any rate, here goes a short and pithy overheard snippet:

three college girls gurgling around a coffee shop table supping on scones
and chai. One says to the others, a little to loud, "It was too much, I
can't even say out loud what he was doing to me."

Judging from her intonation and the animation with which she spoke, this
unspeakable act was surely among the most pleasurable she had experienced...

keeping the sin in sinister...

mike windisch