Sinister: rhymes with iris

Steve Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Sat Jan 22 17:03:27 GMT 2000

a collection of bother and what-not from these last few days..

Mookitten:
>What do you think is the best belle and sebby music for airporting? Or any
>sort of music for that matter? I've always liked airports for some reason,
>and belle and sebastian seems to go very well with that whole mod-airport
>theme. Is this just me? I think I'll sit down and be quiet now.. sigh.. I am

what is weird is that i know a kitten named moo. but anyway...

i tend to be a traditionalist and stick with 'music for airports' just
because its soooooooo specific.  however, anything with an unsettling,
antiseptic vibe to it really goes down big, computer world and trans
europe express for example are also some of my favourite airport music.
show room dummies is perfect for riding on moving sidewalks. also cat
stevens is nice in airports too. but neil diamond really isnt. also, the
makeup song 'international airport' isnt' that great for airports either
i find....

i have signed on to score a film about airportism and i'm totally unsure
as to what path to take.  i could just fire up the synth and cut loose
on the eno action, but that would seem so 'done'. if anyone has any good
ideas please pass them along.

Mark Cassarotto:
>It hit me last night that Hefner have echoes of the Violent Femmes ("they
>rape women" in French, it would seem, which is odd), who no-one ever talks
>about on the list. Is it because in the states it conjures up an image of
>frat boys singing Blister in the Sun when the kegs are flowing, or because
>people just don't like them? I think they're fab.

yes, i think that darran and gorno have rather similar voices, but
musically i think they are worlds apart.  the Femmes always had this
post-punk thing going on, sort of like accoustic gang of four crossed
with the feelies and as such i have never understood their appeal to the
frat population; or even to the more dreaded 'camp person' population.
the people with tragically hip t-shirts, hospital pants, tevas over
socks and those little caps......oooooh my blood boils.

Januarythaw at aol.com wrote:
> try rhyming IRIS???? argh the only thing i can think of offhand is pious.and
> even then you have to fiddle with the pronunciation to make it work. and i
> don't want some fella writing me a poeme....
>
> oh iris
> she's so very pious

since she caught that virus
form that swarthy cyrus
who nibbles papyrus

thats it for me, rhyming isn't really what i'm good at.  when my friends
and i get drunk i'm always the worst freestyler... its true.  i stick to
beat-boxing, which i fancy i'm really good at.  my squarepusher
impression had them all in stiches last year, i was quite flattered.
um, i have real work to do now

living boldly and walking the shining path of righteousness

steven kado