Sinister: It's only fair to tell you I'm absolutely cuckoo

Will Porter porterww at xxx.edu
Wed Jan 26 22:12:47 GMT 2000

Ok, so I was thinking about something, and as much as I love English (I
think it's a fantastic language, and I speak it exclusively), I think that
some other languages have some much nicer ways to say things than we do.
Dig: the French 'adieu' and the Spanish 'adios', when whacked in two with
some sort of metaphor, become 'a dieu' and 'a dios'--literally, 'to God'.
Meanwhile the English 'goodbye' means 'goodbye'.
Similarly, the Spanish 'me encantan tus ojos' literally means 'your eyes
enchant me' (alternatively, it could be stated 'I am enchanted by your
eyes', but I stand by my initial translation), whereas the English 'you
got pretty eyes' doesn't stand up to comparison.

Devil Worship:  This practice has always struck me as a little.... uhm
.... fucking stupid.  Dig: in order to worship The Devil (i.e. Satan,
Lucifer, et al), one must first accept that the good force (the
Judeo-Christian notion of God) that created and excommunicated said
beastie ALSO exists and has whupped up on the forces of darkness on
several previous occasions.  Essentially, devil worship is nothing more
than a particularly sad batch of Christianity.

As for B&S, does anyone else think that 'We Rule The School' sounds an
awful lot like Pachelbel's 'Canon' from time to time?

I've been listening to the Magnetic Fields pretty much nonstop since I
bought 69 Love Songs--it's fantastic.  I have not been this excited about
a band since I found B&S.

Query:  do any of you Americans on the list have "Out of Here" (I think
that's what it's called), by Tim Keegan and the Departure Lounge?  If so,
how'd you get it?  I went into the local too-cool-for-the-likes-of-you
record store, and they hadn't heard of it can couldn't get it.  I felt
very powerful and indie-cool after having stumped Austin's hippest,but I
would still like to have that cd.

Incidentally, has anyone ever noticed the similarities between Hans
Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" (the high apex of fairy-taledom if
you ask me, though I wouldn't read it to young children), and C.S. Lewis's
"The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" (also a favorite).  And speaking of
young children's literature, did any of you love "The Bridge to
Terabithia" when you were kids?

I really don't know how to end this.

Will