Sinister: "goodbye," various, etc etc

Glamtart at xxx.com Glamtart at xxx.com
Thu Jan 27 12:49:11 GMT 2000

Will Porter writes:

 > Ok, so I was thinking about something, and as much as I love English (I
 > think it's a fantastic language, and I speak it exclusively), I think that
 > some other languages have some much nicer ways to say things than we do.
 > Dig: the French 'adieu' and the Spanish 'adios', when whacked in two with
 > some sort of metaphor, become 'a dieu' and 'a dios'--literally, 'to God'.
 > Meanwhile the English 'goodbye' means 'goodbye'. >>

Actually, "goodbye" is a shortened form of "God be with you" - left over from
centuries past.  That makes it a little more charming, no?

Argh, I'm in the middle of high stress at my corporate job slaving for The
Man and applying to grad schools - not to mention my birthday was Monday and
my dad decided to pick a fight with me!!!  I've had to listen to loads of
calming, soothing Belle and Sebastian (much to the dismay of my cubicle-mate,
who thinks they are crap).  There were English men in the office yesterday
from one of the UK divisions of the company I work for... which makes me a)
want to transfer to their company and b) miss living in the British Isles.
Somehow Arkansas doesn't compare!

Anyway kids I am going to be late for work so goodbye for now... er, should I
say "God be with you?"

Mandy