Sinister: Nobody likes a rumor monger

Scott Plagenhoef splag at xxx.net
Thu Jan 27 16:52:01 GMT 2000

or a rumour monger as the case may be.

Hello you lot:

Well, hmm, at the risk of receiving a swift -- and probably well-deserved --
kick to the shin from Mummy I risk making a massive faux paus for help in
solving a Looper-related (and by extension a B&S-related) puzzle.

The story goes as such: A reputable alternative newsweekly here in Chicago
has a curious listing this week indicating that the Flaming Lips are
scheduled to play at a place called the Cubby Bear -- a ridiculous sports
bar located in the shadow of an organized professional team sports stadium
and is more apt to house high-fiving, white-hat wearing former frat boys
whose autumn weekends rise and fall on their success betting on American
football than mind-bending bits of lovely music.

Normally, one would accept these concert listings at face value and think,
"Wow! The Lips are coming back! That's great blinking news!" However, the
combination of the oddball venue and my already being in possession of
tickets for a live "Kids in the Hall" performace that night necessitated
further investigation to confirm that the listing wasn't a mistake and to
see if it is possible to attend both in the same night. (And to see whether
the Lips announcement is a bit of a gaffe and I should instead purchase
Elliot Smith tix that go on sale tomorrow for the same night. Spoilt by
choice, I know.)

OK, after being unable to confirm the news from any other local sources, I
tried www.flaminglips.com and there is no official listing there for any
shows except for a US tour warm-up show in Oklahoma City in early February,
but they promise that official dates would be announced soon and indicated
that Looper would be the support.

I *know* that everything will be duly reported and such when it is official
(there is nothing on the Jeepster site or the Treehouse announcing Looper
dates), so I should wait, but maybe we could plead with Jeepster to do a bit
of investigative reporting work.

scott [to Jeepster]: I know that you can't provide any information directly
yourself, but I thought that I could make a statement, put forth a theory,
and you could correct me if any of my information is false. Ready? Are
Looper supporting the Flaming Lips on an upcoming US tour?

Jeepster: [silence.]

scott: I'm sorry, Jeepster. Did you not hear the question?

Jeepster: We heard it, but you didn't hear us say anything, did you?

scott: Ah, no. Great. So, are Looper playing in Chicago on Feb 26?

-- and so forth.

Leaving that well-constructed fantasy world that insulates me from reality
(sorry), this opens up many a can of beans, namely:

1) Does this mean that the new B&S album is completed?
2) What of the B&S tour dates that the Jeepster site says they hoped to do
in Feb., March and April?
3) What is the status of the Looper LP that they hoped to release around
April?

So, now that I infected our list with heresay, is there any reliable
information out there? Jeepster?

scott.