Sinister: Time for a nap

Joseph Askins jda349 at xxx.edu
Fri Jan 28 00:48:18 GMT 2000

Woke around 8:00 today and took my laundry down to the wash room.  Laundry has been piling up in the corner for weeks and I finally got sick of ignoring the smell of dirty socks.  Everything fit in one load, but when I went down later to put the load in the dryer I noticed that the clothes weren't clean.  Did I forget the detergent, or was everything packed in so tightly that it just didn't wash well?  Sigh.  I had
to get to class, so I continued shoving the dirty damp shirts, pants, socks and underwear into a dryer with intentions of washing them in separate loads later in the day.

Spanish class was a breeze.  We were dismissed a little early, giving me enough time to hike over to the radio station and have some albums picked out before 11:00.  No B&S today (though I did get in "String Bean Jean" and "In the Treehouse" last week), as today was almost strictly late 80s/early 90s shoegaze/dreampop.  Received a couple calls from veteran DJs who were apparently very impressed with my set for the
day.  Seems like I'm earning a little more respect around KCOU after all. Found a couple out-of-print Slowdive EPs in the stacks and slapped them on tape before going home--made my day.

Ate lunch at the makeshift Jack Hammer's dining hall at a nearby dorm.  They're nearly finished with a huge "Mark Twain Market" eatery there, but I'm so accustomed to having Jack Hammer's little restaurant's sandwiches and pre-packaged salads that I'll hate to see it be replaced by a large, impersonal canteen.  Blah.  Barely made it to my Principles of American Journalism lecture.  Shouldn't have bothered hurrying;
I have to put up with enough pretentious jerks as it is, and I don't need a class full of them.  Made the return to my room a heck of a lot sweeter, though.  Spent the afternoon listening to Material Issue's "International Pop Overthrow," Meat Puppets' "Mirage," and Galaxie 500's "On Fire," three albums that put me in a sweet little mood.

Got a call around 5:00 that my copy of "Touching From a Distance" (Deborah Curtis' book about Ian Curtis and Joy Division) was in at the University Bookstore.  I ran over and picked it up, along with a copy of Saul Bellow's "To Jerusalem and Back."  The only other Bellow book I've read is "The Actual," and while "Jerusalem" is a collection of non-fictional essays and memoirs, I'm sure the writing will be just as
good as his fiction.

Got home, popped on a tape of Gram Parsons songs my dad just sent me yesterday, and crawled in to read a bit of the Ian Curtis book.  Not expecting a whole lot that I don't already know, but there's no sense for a fan not to own the book.  I was about 15 pages into it when the "new mail" ping sounded from my computer.  I was told that I had passed the test of time and could now participate in the Sinister mailing
list.  It's about time, I thought.  Went back to reading my book for a while, before trying to tackle the tough job of rewriting my latest short story.  It's been slow going, and I'm still nowhere near being content with it.  Went back to the computer, opened the mailbox, and skimmed the latest Sinister digest once more.

Joseph Askins
Columbia, MO