Sinister: is it wrong to want to live on your own

alix campbell lixibell at xxx.com
Sat Jul 1 15:12:09 BST 2000

hullo.

I’ve had the strangest day. I clocked in at work at 6.56, 4 minutes early,
then spent the rest of the day having petty arguments with a colleague and
being far too busy. Nick Dastoor materialised briefly, adding to my
confusion. Come 2pm I was ready to go live in a camper van in South Shields.
Walking home, there was nothing except a few stray feather boa feathers to
suggest what awaited me. I climbed the stairs, and entered my room. A
transsexual whirlwind has struck whilst I was working.  Fake eyelashes,
lipglossy emphemera and stockings littered the floor. Slowly, I began to
recall that my flatmate had asked me if I minded her friends changing in my
room. ‘No, that’s fine’ I had replied, not realising that it was their sex
they were changing.  I know that it was the work of drag queens, because
they’d left their bus pass by the window. The photo was of a rather dull
looking young man. Drag queens are fundamentally different from gay boys;
gay boys tidy up before they leave, so i had to tidy a little. Anyhow, by
this point I was rather hungry, so I descended into the kitchen. Once more
opening the door was a surprise. Upon our dishwasher that cunningly doubles
as a table and storage, was some kind of buffet.  Dips, quiche, party eggs
and tomato flowers greeted me. I was made up, for sure.  Many empty wine
bottles were on the sideboard. That’s my day so far. Bloody bizarre.

Everyone else has gone to Mardi Gras, and I’d love to be there. i don't know
if i can bear to hear all that lovely pop music and not be able to go see
it. i can't close the windows in this bloody weather though. on an actually
serious note though, there was a feature on the telly last night on how
Copeland made the Soho bomb, and i personally think that, on the eve of
Pride and Mardi Gras, this is perhaps bad timing. Anyway. I’m looking
forward to the queens coming back here later. I’ve not met a drag queen yet.
I’m a bit jealous of their make-up collections, truth told.

I’m sure there should be a better reason to write. This is the second time
in as many days that I’ve done this.

Wow, there’s a BUFFET in my kitchen and DRAG QUEENS in my bedroom. Could I
really ask for more?

Love lixi