Sinister: swearing (vintage)

Mouche75 at xxx.com Mouche75 at xxx.com
Sun Jul 2 00:09:20 BST 2000

hey sinister people,

are you all well? I'm not so bad, it's Saturday night, way past 11, but it's
still sorta light here. Kids is on TV, but I really couldn't bear to watch it
again. I'm doing my best to be happy.

I was flicking through the Sinister site and came across the bit on swearing.
I was intrigued. Bear with me.

I was doing a job for my pal Andy yesterday, and I was sort of hungover when
I got up, so I gave him a bell to let him know I'd be a wee bit late. You
know how people moan about mobile phones and stuff? I've never really had an
opinion till yesterday. Andy answered the phone sounding distressingly
flustered, and said "Mouche? Can I call you back? I'm doing a jobby."

If this is where mobile phones are leading us, I'll stick with the landline.
Sheesh. Anyway, my point was... jobby... vintage swear word, an old classic.
There's slight B&S content here, because the start of "If You're Feeling
Sinister" reminds me of this. I'm amazed that there's not loads of swearing
there. The only phrase I can really make out is "C'moan! Free kick!" but kids
have terrific swear words. I went to my niece and nephew's sports' day a few
weeks ago and I heard the phrase "johnny bag" for the first time since about
1984. It brought a tear to my eye.

Incidentally, if anyone wants results of individual races, please email me
direct.

I have a little proposition... would anyone like to help me put on some sort
of club night in the west coast of Scotland? I really need some help with
venues and stuff... I mean, does anyone know if any of the universities in
Glasgow have rooms with decks and stuff that you can hire? I really miss
dancing. I really, really miss it. Really bad, drunken, shambling dancing to
The Field Mice and The Fall and Belle and Sebastian and Tindersticks and
stuff like that. We can collaborate in underground bunkers and come up with
blueprints and plans.  Anyway, let us know what you think.

I was listening to Hand In Glove by The Smiths today, and I realised with
complete shock that the line Morrissey mumbles after "I really don't know and
I really don't care" is "Kiss my shades". You know, the run-out groove
message on the single? I've listened to that song at least two thousand times
and I'd never heard that before. I can't overemphasise my amazement. Is this
common knowledge? Am I as slow as syrup?

Oh, and I've got one little B&S question... when I saw B&S in Nottingham in
1998, the DJ played a record before the band came on that sounded almost
exactly like Dog On Wheels- does anyone know who it was? She Comes In Colors
by Love has a dead similar riff to Seeing Other People, I know, but this was
the whole song...

an anally retentive,

mouche