Sinister: Shady whims & obstacles

Vegard Enlid enlid at xxx.com
Mon Jul 3 01:45:29 BST 2000

*different opinions, festival tragedy, fear of phones and great music*

Finally got my hands on FYHC, and I love it.
I have to agree with Sp*rkle horse, I like "Beyond The Sunrise" as well. I
suspect some of you might have skipped the mighty Scott Walker in your
musical curriculum, 'cause he would be perfect singing just that song. It's
not a B&S classic, but you can't deny it's got a decent tune. And It's most
certainly better than "Electronic Rennaissance" which, frankly, is crap.
Apart from the obvious choices of "I Fought In a War", "The Model", "Waiting
For The Moon To Rise", I also love "Nice Day For a Sulk". It's kinda silly,
but the chords on it just make me stupidly happy. Have anyone else noticed
the "Ringo-by-numbers" drumming when the song "starts" again after the
instrumental break? Pure class...

The news of the Roskilde Festival-deaths really broke my heart. Today, when
I read the news and looked at the photos, I cried my eyes out in front of my
computer. Roskilde has always had a friendly, easy-going profile, but I
guess that's all gonna change now. What made it worse still, was the fact
that my ex-fiancé (sp?) was there. I still love that beautiful girl to bits,
and got scared shitless when I heard people had died. She loves Pearl Jam,
and she might have been right there at the front. I tried to call her, but
the phone-system around the festival area was down due to the traffic. I
still haven't reached her, but I know now that all dead were males. So, as
tragic as the whole thing is, I'm relieved she's ok.

I'm heading for a festival myself tomorrow. Quart is the biggest festival in
Norway, and I really look forward to it, despite the tragedy in Denmark. I
go there to work, though, so I won't enjoy it as much as I want to. I was
really surprised when my newspaper decided to send me, because the seasoned
music writers seem to grab all the fun festivals. But I get the feeling my
boss likes me. If only he knew... I feel very bad about the way I do my job.
I have a fear of phones (quite a drawback when you're a journalist, you'll
have to agree), and I really have to push myself to make calls. I have this
frustrating tendency to stutter when I'm about to introduce myself, which is
terribly annoying. Once I get passed the introduction, I'm fine, but then I
often get freaked out by the bad start, and making calls becomes this huge
mountain to climb. I've struggled with it from time to time in the past, and
I hope it'll go away this time too. Well, fun as it is, enough whining for
now.

There's gonna be a great deal of tasty bands at the festival, and I can't
wait to see Lambchop, Eels, Elliott Smith, Ben Christophers, Mojave 3, St.
Etienne, Macy Gray (who is absolutely brilliant by the way. How can you not
like her!!??), Death In Vegas, Flaming Lips, Moby, Yo La Tengo and a lot of
other goodies. I guess I'll check out Oasis too, just for a laff y'know...
I'll try to get some interviews done, and I think I have a fair chance of
talking to Beth Orton, Lambchop and Ben Christophers. Macy Gray was out of
the question, according to Sony. Well, that's more free time for me to enjoy
the music and the festival vibe.
Which brings me to the point of this post. Are there any Sinisterines
attending Quart this year? I haven't seen many Norwegians lurking around
here, but then again I'm quite new to the list. If some of you are going,
why don't you email me (before tuesday) and maybe we can get together?

Love,
Vegard
who discovered the beauty that is Gram Parsons this weekend. Hear "Brass
Buttons" and weep...