Sinister: Sleeves and Acoustic Renaissances

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Wed Jul 5 18:12:56 BST 2000

Hello,
	Man, sometimes reading all these letters can be such a chore,
but the reason I still bother is because I usually find some nice
ones in there. So I've got to respond to some of them, just got to...

Mark Cassarto said:
(some things dissing discussion of Electronic Renaissance and then...)
>Okay, that was a bit nasty. Sorry about that. But I have a feeling our fairy
>godmother would want it said...

	See, I don't understand that logic. I mean, we're discussing
the band whom this mailing list is about, aren't we? I'd prefer that
anyday to "Today I took my car to the carwash. There was a scruffy
man with a squeegee there. Afterwards I did some grocery shopping and
got tomatoes. Bye." Well, I suppose just posting and saying you hate
a song or love a song isn't such a good idea, but describing why,
that's another thing entirely. Er, sorry, discussing the list on the
list. But I didn't start it! *whine*

and David White wrote:
>Sorry but I think [Electronic Renaissance] is crap, arguably the
>worst B&S track. Well maybe that's a bit harsh, it's just stands out
>like a beacon on the otherwise faultless Tigermilk. Perhaps on
>another album by another band it would be OK but on Tigermilk it
>just sounds shit.

	It seems that Electronic Renaissance is a love/hate
phenomenon among B&S fans. The idea of it sullying the magic of
Tigermilk is pretty amusing though ;)  The best song on B&S' worst
album if you ask me. I think Family Tree is the worst Belle &
Sebastian track I've heard...well...tied with Chickfactor, probably.
	Then Lawrence Mikkelson had some fascinating comments on
Tigermilk which I agree with thoroughly. For those who missed it, to
paraphrase, he pointed out that Tigermilk wears influences very
obviously, and pointed out some examples. The new album is so much
more atypical than Tigermilk. Tigermilk makes me think of a good
album by any of the many bands I like whose influences I also like.
 From Sinister on I think they sound like their own band.
	Must go soon, but I wanted to say something that wasn't just
an observation on another's post. I've been thinking on album covers
of late. Specifically how to do one for myself. I really like the
Smiths/Sarah Records/B&S/too many other people to mention duotone
photograph sleeve. Somehow, though, I feel the need to put a twist on
it...you know? The fine line between paying homage and blindly
copying is a tricky one indeed. I think B&S do a fine job of walking
it. My favorite sleeve is probably Lazy Line Painter Jane. The
original, I mean, although the new full-color EPs comp Lazy Line
Painter Jane sleeve is gorgeous also.
	Hm, well I have more to say but I must run. Bye now
--
Brian Pennington, aka Mick McMick | cellophanesky at mac.com | ICQ# 39021436
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>