Sinister: Election & Starbucks

tim ellsworth t_ells at xxx.com
Thu Jul 6 22:45:45 BST 2000

Has anyone seen that movie Election with Matthew Brodrick(sp?) and Reese
Witherspoon?  There is a scene towards the end were the one lesbian girl
finds a new partner and they are running and skipping on a bridge and
waterfall.  The music in the background sounded like Belle and Sebastian
although stripped down to just guitar and vocals but I had to find out.
After the movie I went through the credits to the song listings and found
out it wasn't Belle n Sebastian but some cat named Donovan.  This was a
while ago and I still have not bought any Donovan albums but I've been
meaning to watch Election again.  If you have not seen it you should, it's
not about lesbians or anything but about a high school election and a
teacher cheating on his wife.  It is hilarious.
On a sadder scale I went with my friends to Starbucks(implying that i just
went, not actually buying or drinking any of that rancid stuff)and guess
what they were playing?!  "Sleep the Clock Around!" for all the trendy,
hipster types waxing poetic with all their other trendy counterparts.
Nobody even seemed to notice it either until I told my friends that this was
Belle and Sebastian.  Than some girl told all her friends and they all
started buzzing knowing that they should like this song.  I hope this was
somebodies tape from home, I would hate to think BnS are now on Muzak for
all the lost corporate souls to hear and exploit.
Well I'm spent for now.
Tim