Sinister: cafe americano Re: Election & Starbucks

jay declan63 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 6 23:29:56 BST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "tim ellsworth" <t_ells at xxx.com>
To: <sinister at missprint.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 5:45 PM
Subject: Sinister: Election & Starbucks

If you have not seen it you should, it's
> not about lesbians or anything but about a high school election and a
> teacher cheating on his wife.  It is hilarious.

i second you here, tim.  it got a bit overlooked but it's really a wonderful film.  i knew all these characters from high school,
and i doubt it's just an american thing

> On a sadder scale I went with my friends to Starbucks(implying that i just
> went, not actually buying or drinking any of that rancid stuff)and guess
> what they were playing?!  "Sleep the Clock Around!" for all the trendy,
> hipster types waxing poetic with all their other trendy counterparts.
> Nobody even seemed to notice it either until I told my friends that this was
> Belle and Sebastian.  Than some girl told all her friends and they all
> started buzzing knowing that they should like this song.  I hope this was
> somebodies tape from home, I would hate to think BnS are now on Muzak for
> all the lost corporate souls to hear and exploit.

it was a bit disturbing when i happened upon starbucks in london this past march.  they truly *are* everywhere.  i'll admit a bit
embarrasedly that i went in the one around soho because i was craving a mocha and didn't know where else to go.  but, i swear, i
didn't enjoy it.  :)  i really liked the place in leicester square, i can't remember it's name but it's full of wood and was the
only place that seemed to stay open past 11.  there was another place on regents st. i think that was very nice and peaceful.  what
really made my jaw drop was the big sign in the manhattan coffee co. explaining american coffeehouses and how they endeavored to
recreate them.  the thing is, they did, *exactly*, right down to the torani syrups, the jar of biscottis on the counter and the
entire decor.  it was both comfortingly homey and slightly imperialistic feeling.  i got stung later being touristy and trying to
find "authentic" fish and chips in the baker st. area.  i went into this little cafe and the food was served on a plate.  "oi,
where's the newspaper?!" i wanted to shout.  oh well, that was about the worst thing that happened to me, so i can't complain too
much.  that, and getting mugged and propositioned within thirty seconds much later than i should've been on oxford st. by myself
(the oxford circus tube seems to be a line in the sand).  telling a prostitute you just gave your last note to a junkie under threat
of grievous bodily harm (that is, "i'll fookin' stick a knife in ye") certainly doesn't stop them from trying.  "don't you have a
bank card?"  "uhhhhh......not on me.  sorry."

nonetheless i miss england terribly.  :)

jay, who's reliving the sounds, if not the sights, of last night's extravaganza with the woggles.  the "who?" you may say?  shame on
you.  get thee to the garage!

"arthur lee has gone and lost his mind"