Sinister: i will show you fear in a handful of dust

ineffable mindmonkey1 at xxx.com
Fri Jul 7 09:34:23 BST 2000

Hello.

It seems that my identity still remains a source of confusion.  It is tricky
to be any more explicit so I suppose I'll just have to live with it.  I've
been thinking a bit about the mailing list as several of you sweethearts
have expressed consternation about the lack of B+S content.  Is this the
point of the list?  I guess a priori for us to be on the list we all must
think they are smashing and thus the rest of the debate (as it seems to have
been recently) is to categorizing which of the songs fall in to the
following categories - marvellous, good or less good.  I think that is as
critical as I can get with B+S - if you don't like it it's because you don't
understand it.   The other topic would be B+S trivia and if Isobel is
gorgeous or not (or somewhere in between).  I was strongly swayed by Magda's
point about just enjoying pop music qua pop music - singing, dancing in your
bedroom, drinking beer, kissing girls, driving, feeling sad.  Making life
more bearable and helping us all to rise above things and 'keep it light'.
I hope I don't sound like an Englishman trying to pretend to be an American
with that last comment.....!

The reason I enjoy reading the list is just to hear whatever others have to
say - however trivial or disagreeable it may be me personally.  Perhaps
there will always be an element of narcissism to lists (I am sure everyone
has realized the structure inherent in the way we all write our mails) in
that the link of B+S 'fandom' probably contains several other similarities
between us - perhaps when we speak all we here is an echo.  I hope this is
not the case.  I still think there is genuine communication sometimes.

What is the opinion of Stephen 'I used to be called Tintin' Duffy?

Yours,

Music In Colours.