Sinister: songs in the key of floyd

Brandon Berman bberman at xxx.edu
Fri Jul 7 21:31:33 BST 2000

This is my first post and I felt compelled to say something about the
floyd discussion since all of my friends are raving fans while I am an
avid hater of the band.  I can admit that what some of you have said is
true, you do have to give the band some credit for talent and
innovation. But i also agree with what someone said about Floyd's art, my
friends who are in to these guys are to into what they think is the
"trippiness" of their artwork, movie, and tours.  They believe that this
adds to the greatness of their music.  Now as some people may feel this is
entertaining and nice to look at, which is fine with me, as i can to enjoy
artwork relating to music, but shouldn't the band's greatness, if there is
any, be judged strictly on the music.  I was onced dragged to see Roger
Waters in concert and felt completely let down, even though I didn't like
the music.  Waters and his band were almost lifeless and still in their
performance and they did not seem to improvise on their music or even add
any kind of flare from the studio recordings.  The rest of my friends were
so consumed by the "trippy" artwork on the screen, when of course they
were tripping at the time.  To this day they still talk about the
concert's artwork and never mention the music from the show.  I am sorry
if
this offends any Floyd fans, now don't think I have some personal
problem with the band, if you dig there music that is great, but don't
tell me they were the greatest band ever and then pursue to try and
convince me it is not entirely because of their music.

Also related to Floyd and my friends that cannot get enough of them is
their lyrics.  This kinda relates to any lyrics of anyone at anytime, my
friends and I disagree on the importance of lyrics.  They believe that if
they didn't understand exactly what Waters meant when he wrote his tunes
than they couldn't fully appreciate the songs.  It is fine to read up on
your favorite band and to understand what they felt when writing the
music, but is this necessary?  I feel that when listening to music,
i.e. B&S, I can understand what the author means from listening to the
music, and if I am wrong, which I am sure I am in most cases, does that
matter.  If i am wrong I am still getting some meaning out of the music
that has something personal to me.

I do also want to say something about B&S, someone recently said that the
newer album may not have been as good because it doesn't relate directly
to each person individually as well as the previous ones, I agree with
this, I am sure for some people the music can relate personally.  It just
doesn't for me, don't get me wrong I think the album is fantastic and I
love listening to it.  But after finally listening to some of the older
albums they have, after a few weeks of listening to nothing but FISHYCLAP,
I realised that the other songs still mean more to me than these new ones,
and I have a much easier time relating to it.

Sorry if this was too long,
Brandon