Sinister: The ReOooOOonification of Germany

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sat Jul 8 11:00:02 BST 2000

Is there anyone called Adrian Evans on this list? I have something for him
from Thailand. Oon has forgotten his e-mail address, the first part of which
is emblazoned across my heart - vibrosheep at junglemail - but I don't know how
it ends.

It's not often things on the list make me angry. Besides, I'm like Chuck D -
when I get mad I put it down on a pad - a lightweight moulded shin pad in my
case, but I feel I must speak up in doogence of Tony Deefan. It's not fair
to harp on about how your favourite band has always done things their own
way and then as soon as you don't like something, blame it on someone else,
usually the producer. Besides, up until the last album, Tony Doogan was
credited for RECORDING the records, not PRODUCING them. Now he is listed as
co-producer with Belle and Sebastian themselves. I don't know, but I think
it's incorrect to describe him as some kind of dandified technocrat flitting
from group to group saying "Hmmm.....strings! I want more strings!" Perhaps
he just puts his technical know-how at the service of others and patiently
moulds sounds to fit their own delusions, if delusions they are. I
personally would like to hear more strings, like on "Silver" by Echo and the
Bunnymen. Weren't Pink Floyd produced by Joe Boyd? Wasn't he Nick Drake's
producer? Don't we like Nick Drake? That reformed Beatles recording wasn't
produced by George Martin, it was produced by Jeff Lynne, that's one of the
reasons why it sounds crap. Now I love ELO as much as the rest of you, but
that was Sir George's gig, poor old sod. Still, he got his revenge with the
"In My Life" LP featuring Sir Tommy Connery and Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.

I realise the above argument has more holes in it than Jeff Lynne's
remarkable brummie afro hairdo, but I just wanted to say THREE CHEERS FOR
TONY DOOGAN. And Bev Bevan, mates with Jasper Carrot. Geezer Butler was
mates with Andy Gray. That's why he went to Wolves, because he thought they
sounded vaguely satanic. I was mortified at the time, but I'm alright
NOooooooOOOoooooow.

And on that note,

Peter