Sinister: they say damp records the past

ian nicolson imn_uk at xxx.uk
Sun Jul 9 22:17:11 BST 2000

people don't write much on sundays, i've noticed of
late.  maybe you're all strict presbyterains,
faithfully observing the sabbath.  is there a large
sinister community in the outer hebrides?  and
wouldn't it be wonderful if there was? or maybe you're
all out playing, or in bed recovering from wild
weekends n'all that stuff.  i think that's maybe more
likely.

i'm not sure if those wonderfully hard-working souls
out there would agree with me, but all this doing
nothing that i've been up to recently is getting a bit
tiring.  maybe i should take up a hobby.  something
practical, that may prove useful in  later life, like
fencing or archery. but there's not much call for
professional swordsmen these days.  which is a shame.
or maybe i should look for a job...

but i can't complain, i guess, seeing as i've been
camping out at the major festivals this summer.  me,
in a tent, in the back garden with a telly watching
glastonbury *and* t in the park, it's such fun.  with
my neighbourhood schemies slashing my tent open and
stealing my stuff, and next doors dog pissing on me
when i'm sleeping, it's just as good as being
there...t in the park worries me, though.  i've never
been there myself, but from watching it on telly and
from what people have told me, there *does* seem to be
a rather large schemie contingent in attendance.  and
they seem to like ocean colour scene very much.  run
away, children... but i hope those of you who were
there enjoyed yourselves anyway.

apparently my university has decided to give me a
degree, which i guess i should be happy about.  but it
a really crap degree from a really crap university, so
it's difficult to get excited.  and i didn't get very
good marks, which i suppose is the result of abject
laziness.  but it's always good to know that i *could*
have done better.  it also means that i'll have to get
my hair cut and buy a suit before i graduate on
thursday so that my folks can tell me how smart i look
in the photos, which is a bit of a drag.

i wonder how far into 2001 these b+s gigs will be.
early summer?  late summer?  to coincide with the
release of the new album in 2002?  i just can't help
thinking it's going to be the same old story.  (sorry
for that uncondonable use of cliche).  and, oh, record
production, a serious debate!  surely not?  what's
happening to you people?!  but, yeh, i don't know much
about these thing (i'm ignorant, me...) just how they
sound.  and the record i like the sound of the most is
IFYS, which i'm sure either people in the band or on
the list have said they don't like the production of.
it's somehow glassy and distant, like from a timeless
kinda era, but intimate at the same time.  that sounds
a bit spazzy, doesn't it?  and a bit wanky.  sorry.
i'll get me coat...

luv and kisses

ian n