Sinister: Pre-recorded laughter in the Air

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Jul 10 21:04:13 BST 2000

As people were talking about Air being cool, ironic back-to-the-70s-cheese
people, I thought I'd add my own 2p.

I haven't listened to Moon Safari for ages, ever since I was playing it
one day, and one of the songs set something nagging at the back of my
mind.  It sounded like ... I wasn't sure, but suddenly I realised ... the
theme from "Last Of The Summer Wine"!  Aaargh!  Brought back far too many
memories of not laughing along with my family on Sunday evenings.
Fortunately, I managed to stop myself from smashing my stereo with
whatever came to hand.

The stereo stopped working by itself, anyway.  Can't afford a new one.
Have to make do with crap PC speakers ATM.

Personal gripe:
I work in a university library, so you'd think that the customers I'd come
across would be intelligent people able to find their own books with the
minimum of effort.  Are they?  What do you think?  Of course bloody not.
Every five minutes I have to stop what I'm doing and answer some stupid
question, then take someone halfway across the library to find a book that
they have walked past five times already.  And because it's a library, we
can't even listen to B+S while we work.

(actually, at the moment we're trying to hide all the most commonly used
books so the students all have to read different ones for a change.  I am
doomed to more stupid questions.)

Incidentally, if any of you list people decide to come to Edinburgh
University library and ask me a stupid question, you are welcome.  I will
immediately realise where you are coming from, roll up one trouser leg and
give a secret handshake.  Or something like that.  Hell, I have to do
something to amuse myself.  You will know who I am; the one talking to all
the stupid-looking people who can't find their own books.

Rant over.  Please return to your normal random chatter.
--
Will s