Sinister: It's just too heavy for a superman to lift

Vegard Enlid enlid at xxx.com
Tue Jul 11 00:03:23 BST 2000

Thought I'd just throw in my suggestion to Miles' the list of the most
"approachable" B&S songs. I disagree quite a bit, as you'll see (keep in
mind that I've put it together like a tape to a friend who doesn't know
anything about the band. So I'll leave out personal, obscure favourites like
the hidden track on 3, 6, 9... and songs that really take time to grow)

* Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - An obvious song on such a list. It's
the song that most "non-B&S-people" seem to like, and instantly hummable.
* The State I'm In - Because it's the best thing they've ever done. Simple
as that.
* Le Pastie - It's brilliant, but also has a heavier sound even
twee-o-phobics can love.
* Photo Jenny - One of the bands catchiest choruses.
* Stars Of Track & Field - It was the first B&S song I heard. It worked
perfectly well for me...
* You're Just a Baby - A surprise choice perhaps, but I love this song, and
It can be justified with the same reasons as Le Pastie.
* The Boy Done Wrong Again - Only included if the recipient is a known
admirer of Nick Drake ;)
* Dylan In The Movies - My B&S favourite, next to ...State...
* The Model - Because it's very representative of how the band sound. No
other band could have made this tune and arrangement.
* Dirty Dream #2 - Should make your friend feel good. If not, you're
probably better off without him/her.

Oh, and here's one to piss everybody off:
* Chickfactor - I simply don't understand why so many of you slag it off.
The piano/mellotron and strings on it is plain gorgeous, and I can't find
anything wrong with the tune either. Now shoot me.

That's just 11 suggestions from the top of my head (my cd's are at work. I
have a personal office where I can play anything I want as loud as I want.
Yes, I know I'm lucky...). I could go on all night, but I probably would've
ended up with the their complete output (I made may own MD with my B&S
favourites, in chronological order. I ran out of disc-time before I got to
TBWTAS...)

BTW, I saw Flaming Lips in Norway on thursday, and it was the best concert
I've ever been to in my entire life (I've been to a few). I was never one of
those drooling over "The Soft Bulletin", as I think it paled compared to
Mercury Rev's "Deserter's Songs" (Those to albums was constantly compared in
reviews here in Norway). But the gig was pure genius. The music is one
thing, but what made it truly awesome was the video-art they showed behind
the band. Picture this:
The screen shows the Teletubbies bouncing around in slow motion, their happy
sun rising on the horizon. The beautiful, eerie tones of "A Spoonful Weighs
a Ton" sneaks out of the speakers:
"And though they were sad/they rescued everyone
They lifted up the sun/a spoonfull weighs a ton
Being drunk on their plan/they lifted up the sun
Yelling as hard as they can/the doubters all were stunned
Heard louder than a gun/the sound they made was love"

I don't know if I make any sense here, but it was genuinely moving. A wee
bit scaring, hopeful, childish, wise, happy and heartbreakingly sad all at
the same time. And it was not just this one song. Most video-art at concerts
are just silly fractals or something that doesn't communicate with or
enhance the music in any way. But this... Oh, my God... I was in fact glad I
turned down the offer of a wee joint before the gig. It would've been too
much.
I also saw Mojave 3 (phew... beautiful), Lambchop (same), Yo La Tengo (nice
enough), Ben Christophers (should've played the club-stage), St. Etienne
(good, despite half-arsed attention from the audience), D'Angelo (what a
talented guy) and many more.
Well, I have to take a trip to dozey-land now.

Love
Vegard